My daughters are 6 and 7. I am trying to teach them the importance of knowing how to cross the street in the parking lot of our apartment building.

What should I do? How can I teach them that this is real real important
and should I spank them if they don't listen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in

• I am not a spanking mom but that doesn't change how you parent. I think you really need to stress that looking both ways and watching for cars is REALLY IMPORTANT that you will be watching to make sure that they are watching for cars and if they aren't doing as they are told then they will be in very big trouble. Spanking i think will be over board but like i said i am not the spanking mom type..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If you really wanted to drive the lesson home you would be really blunt about what happens when people get run over and explain that it's easier for someone to accidently run over a kid because most cars and trucks are taller then they are and can't see them. I imagine that you could find graphic type pictures online, or stories of people getting killed, ect.

My sister's neihbor's 4 year old son was run over in front of their appt. building when I was there and my oldest child saw it and had nightmares about it for months. Most of his face was ripped off, blood everywhere, his limbs twisted, I'm not sure if he was dead then or died later in the hospital. We gathered up the kids and made them come back inside and even then we heard his moms screaming and sobbing in anguish. Still one of the worst things I've experienced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• your child had nightmares after seeing that face-to-face, and you want her to show her children graphic pictures of what happens to people after they get run over? are you serious? most adults can't handle that!
    although the children are old enough to be taught what happens when they get run over, showing them pictures of bloodied, ripped open bodies is probably one of the most insane things i have ever heard of in my life.
    if you're a spanker, or whatever it is that you do to discipline your child, bring it all out to bear when your children cross the street without looking. they need to know it is VERY serious. when they DO cross it properly, make sure to reward them, both vocally and physically, as in a cookie or something like that. just reiterate the importance of this lesson to them.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 3:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• There's a poem I learned when I was little, and I taught it to my kids. It helped - It went "Stop, look, and listen - BEFORE you cross the street. Use your eyes, use your ears, and THEN use your feet..."

If you just keep reinforcing that over and over again, and also stress that they're little, and the cars are big, and that cars can't always stop very fast, or be able to see them, so they need to look.

Also, you could have them sit on your lap in the car (NOT driving of course) and put, say, a babydoll on the road in front of the car, and ask them if they can see the doll.. Then, point out that just like they can't see the doll, drivers can't always see them. BUT - if they stop and look, THEY will always be able to see cars, and stay out of their way.

Then tell them that since this is so important, if they don't do it, then they will be in trouble, and this is what will happen ____ (insert your consequences here).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• eye rollingJust keep telling them and remind them pretty soon they'll be like the teenagers... we know we know mom yeah yeah yeah.

Yes keep on top of it living at apartment complexes could be very dangerous (just anywhere there are cars) just tell them to stop and look both ways to the left to the right and the left again. Just like when we drive and we are adults and some still don't get it.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2009