should i feed my baby cereal yet?

he's three months old and i'm exclusively breast feeding right now. everyone keeps telling me to give him cereal, but i really think it's cause they want to feed him their selves (both grandmas and dh) i asked the doctor and the only information he gave me was "most mom's wait till 4 months" no pros cons- not even why... and the 3 are still pushing it. i don't care much if he eats cereal i just want some whys and why nots so i can make an educated decision.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and introduction of complimentary foods (doesn't have to be cereal) when baby is ready after that.

Some reasons to wait:
    Less risk of food allergies and digestive problems. Infants have what is called an "open gut" until around 6 months and introducing anything other than human milk during that period can cause digestive problems.

Human milk contains relatively small amounts of iron (in comparison to formula), but what is there is absorbed at an extremely high rate (less than 10% of iron in formula is absorbed, compared to more than 80% of iron in human milk). When you introduce anything into a breastfed infants diet, it changes they way they absorb iron and they won't get as much.

There are many more reasons to wait... and many more yummy foods to start with at, or after 6 months. Check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Oh, and there are no pros to starting solids earlier than when baby is ready. Unless you count not getting bugged by the grandmas as a "pro"... but I figure you meant pros for the child.

Remember, solids are a developmental milestone. Your baby should be interested and eager for food. This doesn't typically happen until after 6 months (and reaching for your food and trying to put it in their mouth doesn't count... they will try to put anything available in their mouth once they start teething. You will see a marked difference when they actually want to eat the food.)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Don't listen to them. Don't listen to us, either. Do your own research and make your own decisions. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Two fantastics books (you should be able to find them at your library): Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• don't cave to the pressure. tell your husband to do some research, most drs and childcare professionals do not recommend feeding a baby solids before 6 months. I'm sure he'll find there is no evidence to support feeding early. they'll have plenty of time to eat all the different foods in the world. Take your time, breastfeeding only lasts a short time(provided you don't do it til they're eight, lol!)
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 7:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I say you can do your research but to be honest with ALL of my girls, they started cereal at 3 months & veggies/fruits & such w/the cereal at 3 1/2 months ... but then again, they ALL had teeth really early & their formula wasn't filling them (yes, I did NOT breastfeed w/my second pregnancy .... recovering from a C-section, breastfeeding TWINS and an emergency move when they are less than 1 1/2 weeks old LOL) BUT again, that was my personal opinion, I introduce dairy & juice at 6 months. But do what YOU feel is best for your baby Mama!!! Don't do as WE say or what your Friends/Family say!!
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 7:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'd say NO. That's my own opinion though. With my 1st that's like what my mom said. She had me start my dd on cereal at night at 5 weeks old!!! I didn't know anything and was young so I did it too. With my 2nd baby who is now almost 9 months she's only had cereal once and it was last week (she's exclusively bf). She didn't even like it either. Cereal has NOTHING nutritious in it and only makes a baby full and miss out on the good nutrients of bm or fruits and veggies.
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 8:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You have to do what YOU feel is best. Both my kids were on cereal before they were 3 months, my son was just flat out hungary and my daughter had reflux. I do agree that they don't "need" cereal, it 's mainly just a filler. If your family wants to feed, why not start pumping and let them introduce a bottle to your child?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Quote: "You have to do what YOU feel is best. Both my kids were on cereal before they were 3 months, my son was just flat out hungary "

Insatiable "hungry" periods are growth spurts. They need more formula/breastmilk NOT filler. It's like restricting a pregnant woman from eating all she wants just because it seems like she's always hunger and so must be filled with an empty filler to make her "normal". With breastmilk the baby feeds more to make more and to ensure they get the fatty hindmilk. If the formula isn't doing its job even when baby is given more, its better to switch formulas than to fill the void with empty calories.

" If your family wants to feed, why not start pumping and let them introduce a bottle to your child? "

Because feeding a baby is not a right for anyone but mom. And every time a breastfeeding mother substitutes a bottle for a feed, especially that early, it can impact her supply.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• "Open gut"? ROFLMAO Every single medical professional I have mentioned this to says it's bull and there's no such thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 3, 2009