Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I still file taxes if on unemployment?

This is my first time on unemployment and it was my only income for the year. So my question I still have to file taxes and will I get anything back? I'm pretty sure UE does not qualify for the EIC but I am wondering if I still get something back for my son?

Answer Question

Asked by RaulitosMommy at 3:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Absolutely. If you did not opt to have taxes taken out of your unemployement checks, you may wind up underpaying and get hit with a penalty and interest. The state will send you either a 1099 or W2 at the beginning of the year (I don't remember which).

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Unemployment compensation.    You must include in your income all unemployment compensation you receive. You should receive a Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments, showing the amount paid to you. Generally, you enter unemployment compensation on line 19 of Form 1040, line 13 of Form 1040A, or line 3 of Form 1040EZ.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.