Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have to be present in a legal guardianship case?

OK so my sister called CPS on me and long story short..I chose to give my mom and dad legal guardianship..well my sister-the one who called CPS on me applied for the guardianship. They are all being very secretive about this process..IE not telling me question is don't I have to be present in court to give the guardians permission or can they just "take" my sons guardianship from me without my permission?FYI, I am not on drugs or an alcoholic or anything I was in a violent relationship when CPS was called on me.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (6)
  • I am really not sure at all...but I just wanted to wish you luck

    Answer by glamomomo at 4:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • If you are still with the person then you need to get out and stay away from him ASAP. if your have no guardianship of your children and CPS has rights then they can do what they want. You need to be at any court hearing there is for them children regardless if you were told to be there or not you should and need to be there these are your children and you need to show them that you want a say in this. If you are still with this person that is beating on you then until you get him out of the picture you WILL NOT GET YOUR CHILDREN BACK. I have to say if your still with this person then your children are better off where they are or will be. Get your life together and make the right decisions for yourself and these children. Don't make your children just number in the state, they deserve better and you know that.. GL your children are more important then this guy.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Not sure if you HAVE to be (if so you'd probably be notified by the court) but I know I would be there. No one would get my kids without a fight. Go hire a lawyer or go to legal aid. Don't go in alone.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • Why are you not asking your LAWYER these questions? We can't answer them. We don't know all the facts.

    Based on what you wrote, GAVE UP your kids to your parents instead of fighting for them THEN. Now, your sister is applying to take guardianship from YOUR PARENTS, not from you. No, based on what you've written I dont' think you will have any say in it.

    Especially if you're still with that guy...and the fact that you chose to stay with him and give the kids up doesn't bode well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • You should be there. But, you do NOT have to give permission to have a court give guardianship to someone else. It will look better for you if you are in court. You really should have an attorney too.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

  • I agree with PP....

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.