Don't I have to be present in order for legal guardianship to be awarded?

OK so my parents are trying to take legal guardianship of my son due to problems I was having. They have not told me the court date or any info on the matter. My question, Don't I have to be present in order for guardianship to be granted? Or can they just take my son from me? Shouldn't I be able to chose who he goes with? And, can I get guardianship of my son back? He is currently living with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends. Best thing would be for you to contact a lawyer. Who is your child currently with? You or your parents?
    Anonymous

• They can get temporary guardianship if they prove a need (In my state it could be they provide the majority of care, or that you left the child). Temporary guardianship is easy to get, however after that they will set a court date & attempt to notify you by service. The service can be by newspaper. I would get an attorney & contact your local court for info. The court should be able to give you any possible date on the calender. Get a attorney.
    Anonymous