I've asked previously for help about my son biting and someone suggested that it could be I have thrush and I think I do. I don't have health insurance. What should I do to get it treated?

We are taking him for his nine month check up on Monday and are self paying for his appointment. I don't think we can afford to go to my gynecologist too to get treated. What should I do?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it is thrush I dont think there is anything over the counter you can get for him
    Boil bottles and stuff to make sure they are really clean
    Have you looked in to the Health centers?
    I know there are a few here that are run with catholic charities that only charge based on income. Sometimes you can be seen for free. They also do shots at the WIC offices sometimes for 10 dollars flat .
    I know this because with my first 6 years ago I had no insurence either.
    Alot of health centers also do womens services too that charge on sliding scales
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You both have to get treated to make fully get rid of it. Yeast infections are really hard to kill and require vigilant treatment. What I would really recommend is that you just simply call your gyn and tell them that the pediatrician diagnosed your baby with thrush and that you would like them to send a script for you to your pharmacy. They should be fine with just writing out the Rx with out a visit if the baby is already diagnosed. Then you won't have to pay for your visit.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• when my son was a few weeks old i noticed something white on his tounge and he was crankey called his doc and went to see doc son had thrush at the time never heard of it. only way to treat it was anibiotic every 2 hours would even have to wake him at night to take his meds..after a few days it cleared up..phew...anyways not once did his doc say ok seeing how son has it u have it.. i was never looked at or treated but i never showed signs of haveing it eaither..its now been 4 years. all i can say is talk to his doc. see what they say. but as far as i know thrush happens not to long after birth ( something that happens during the birth and the birth cannal) but dont quote me..just talk to his doc and get advice they can also give u numbers to call to help with check ups for u and meds. just ask..good luck mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• but also agree...hot water when washing bottles and nipples, sippy cups toys that go in mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Like everyone else has said sterilize anything he drinks from. If he's breastfed, and you need meds, Diflucan is inexpensive even with out insurance. I know,my doc just prescribed me 2 last week. I picked them up at the pharmacy and they were $12. If you go to Walmart, they might be $4.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If he is bottle fed then you probably do not have thrush, and there is a over the counter called genatin violet, but you do have to ask the pharmasict for it but no script needed and you use a qtip dip it in and swab the mouth it will make there mouth purple so make sure to use a bib and not good cloths do this 3 times a day for about 7 days I have done daycare since 1990 and have teenagers every baby I have ever cared for has had it and that is what was done. And it is usually caused by a baby having antibiotics for the first time.
    butterflymeme

Answer by butterflymeme at 8:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Try Wal Mart for your prescription! If you get the GENERIC, it is only $4!!!
    jjk45xox

Answer by jjk45xox at 9:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You need to call your OB and give her your symptoms. MIne has never made me go in for an office visit for thrush. She will most likely call you in a prescription for Diflucan.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I know that when I work at a Drug store the Druggist who break the prescription up small bundles , so let say you could only buy for a week he would let you buy for that amount in note it on the prescription that that is what she had. I know that does nothing about the Dr bill but it might help if you need meds.
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 9:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• try gentian violet, it is over the counter but no prescription necessary, just ask your pharmacist for it (you might have to go to a walgreens or cvs, wal-mart might not have it). You can apply it to your nipples and apply it to your babies tongue. In fact just google it for directions lots of people I know rave about it, though I have never personally tried it. You can also get lotrimin (the athletes foot jock itch cream) or regular old monistat and put it on your nipples but you have to make sure to wash your breasts completely before nursing so that can be a pain but it doesn't stain like the gentian violet can. This way you can avoid going to your gyno. I have had a gyno who would prescribe diflucan for me without an appointment sometimes but other times he would want to see me. And besides the cost who wants to make yet another trip to the gyno? Not me, that's for sure. Good luck.
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2009