I woke up to a warm fridge. What should I toss?

My fridge hasn't been working well lately. The freezer only freezes the bottom shelves and the fridge is warm!! I'm so angry because I've been telling my husband to fix it and he has ignored me! This morning he said "Well, toss everything"! I said "we can not afford to toss everything in the fridge!" We can't even afford to do normal groceries!" UGH!
So what would spoil? Milk, cream, eggs, cheese? How about ketchup, jelly, salad dressing? There's not much in there....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I would toss dairy,eggs,maybe some meat,if its warm..I think jelly,salad dressing ketchup etc..is fine.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 9:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If the fridge is actually warm, then you must toss everything. If it still feels a bit cool, then you could keep raw fruits & veggies, ketchup, and mustard. But all dairy, salad dressings, eggs, and other parishables must go.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Oh yes, and meats...all meats, even processed ones like hot dogs, should be tossed.

I know it's expensive. Huricane Ike knocked out our power for 3 days. We had to toss everything in our freezer and fridge.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• depends on how long stuff hasnt been kept cool. when i worked for walmart we would sometimes have power outages (pretty often actually) i was told that dairy can be kept for up to 7 hours without goin bad. If it was more than 7 they would have to toss it....just to let you know the store i worked for was never out for more than 2 hours.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i would call the grocery store and ask the meat department before i tossed all my stuff...that can get expensive...and i dont think it would go bad
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Meats, dairy, eggs all will start rapidly growing harmful bacteria if the temperature is over 45 degrees after 2 hours at that temperature. I would honestly toss everything I possibly could. I would think raw fruits and vegetables would be okay, and mustard, ketchup, hotsauce those are okay too. Other than that, I would toss it all. I know it's hard starting over, but we've had to do it a few times.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• With the eggs maybe do hard boil eggs with them. Egg salad. Potatoes with eggs and cheese burritos. You can freeze them. I've freeze cheese.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I don't think you have to toss the eggs, lots of people keep eggs in a wire basket on the kitchen counter. Keep the mustard and ketchup and jelly/jam, hard cheeses. DO get rid of all dairy products, milk, cream, sour cream, yogurt, soft cheeses etc. Any and all meats, frozen vegetables that have thawed. DEFINATELY dispose of all mayo and white/cream based salad dressings/sauces. It hurts the pocketbook, replacing all this food, plus getting a new fridge, I know, but food poisoning is a biatch!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2009