Does anyone have a child who doesn't feel empathy or sympathy?

My 5 year old does not feel these emotions. He has been kicked out of 5 schools.
4 daycares and pre school. I have an appointment with an MD in January. His Kindergarten says they have never seen a child like him. He is not mean and is not trying to hurt anyone, but when he is around other children he snaps. Hitting, Pinching, Punching, Pushing and occasionally biting. @ 5 times a day. He has moderate SPD and I would appreciate any help or advice. He will not grow out of it and he doesn't do it for attention.

werule

Asked by werule at 9:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is he an only child? Does he have older siblings?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• There are several disorders that cause this. A child psychiatrist can test him and tell you what's up

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Good idea to see an MD. Especially if you can get in to see a developmental MD. My son has AUtism and not having empathy is one of his biggest problems. As a baby he never reacted to emotion. If my husband and I fought he didn't even care, where my 2nd cries is anyone raises their voice. He didn't laugh or smile back when we did.

I am not saying your son is on the Autism spectrum, but he may have a condition that is treatable. With therapy my son has made huge gains.
    jeano23

Answer by jeano23 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Has it seemed to always be like this? You have to be very careful with this situation but I would suggest trying to see a child psychiatrist as soon as possible as this could be a sign of something very serious. Have you researched different ways to teach empathy? If not why don't you try reading this
    http://www.drkutner.com/parenting/articles/develop_empathy.html
    and then start looking for ways to teach him. I wish you the best of luck and really hope you can find a way to solve this!
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 10:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Could he maybe have Asperger's Syndrome?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My 4 year old doesn't have empathy or sympathy. He is on the Autism spectrum though. (Asperger Syndrome) He also has Tourette Syndrome, but I don't think that has to do with those things.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Mine is exactly like that. Used to be 100% of the time, now it is probably down to 35 % on / 65% off for empathy/compassion,etc. I too am struggling with school. I know that mine is MUCH MORE empathetic and loving (actual reaching for hugs/affection) and uses good manners when his yeast is in check. That is one thing he regresses on every time his yeast gets bad. I'm not sure why, but I am working on it.

I tried Behavior Balance DMG liquid, but it didn't help us much. It is: Behavior Balance-DMG Liquid is an advanced nutritional supplement that is a synergistic combination of our patented N, N-Dimethylglycine (DMG) with Betaine, Folic Acid, Vitamins B6 and B12, Zinc, and Magnesium in a great tasting, natural cherry flavored liquid. It is designed to improve behavior patterns and socialization skills, help cope with stress and support proper immune system function. I believe our problem was the cherry though.
    CChlam

Answer by CChlam at 12:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009