Tax questions....please help

My husband and I have been living seperate since March. I don't work and haven't any this year. He has been paying my bills since he left. He thinks we should still file married on our taxes. Should we? I don't have anything to file on. We do have 3 kids. I just want to do what is legal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• If no divorce has been filed, and if either of you are planning on any earned income credit, you HAVE to file a JOINT married tax return. If you havent worked, it isnt going to do you any good to file alone anyways. The tax laws for earned income credit say that you have to file joint unless you have a legal divorce, seperation doesnt count.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• ok, thanks....I just wanted to make sure we couldn't get in trouble for that. We are not divorced, just living apart. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2009