When to get rid of the straw top cup?

My 3 year old still uses a cup with a straw. When do you say no more straw and go to a plain cup? He is on the Austism spectrum, so takes a little longer to get things, but still, I think we should be done with the straw. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

jeano23

Asked by jeano23 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine is on the spectrum too, and 4 years old. Mine definitely is not ready for full time without straw cup, but we do let him use a regular cup a couple times a week to get him used to the change over we hope for next year. Always supervise it though, or you'll be knee deep in messes.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Just start giving him a real cup, but keep him in the kitchen with it. He won't be able to walk around the house with it anymore.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Hard to say. My kids were drinking out of normal cups at that age, but I know a woman that comes over for a play date weekly and her 3 1/2 and 6 1/2 year old girls still drink out of a lidded cup with a straw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my son still uses a straw cup.He's 8 and autistic.I figure you can always use a straw to drink,if he is resistant,i wouldn't worry about it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Does he have the coordination to handle a regular cup? If not, leave him with the straw.

If he is "almost" there then start at the table for meals, but only fill the cup part way so there isn't so much to spill. Sit beside him and show him (repeatedly) how to do it.

That's how we did it with ours, anyway. Just work with him until he has it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009