I am sooooo upset about this (car seat safety issue)

My husbands cousin has a 5 month old baby, and I recently saw a cute photo of his in his car seat in the her (cousins) car. I noticed it was front facing and thought, "don't get too concerned, it's probably just the angle the photo was taken" So I casually mentioned to my mother in law about how it looked "front faced". So she called the cousins mother and asked, and the cousins mother was like "Oh yes, he is front faced, doesn't bother us" WHAT? How could they think that is okay?! The baby is 5 months old! 5 months! the minimum is 1 yr AND 20lbs. which mil stated to the cousins mother and the mother said "Oh well, it's not a law so it doesn't really matter." WTF? This really upsets me, sure, if you want ff at 1yr and 20lbs, but 5 months??? Wouldn't anyone else be upset about this? It's just so unsafe, why are there not more LAWS concerning child seat safety?? But then, why do their need to be laws for COMMON SENSE?

All4OneN1forAll

Asked by All4OneN1forAll at 10:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yeah my brother put his baby front facing at 7 months old and the poor little guy is the same size as my 3 month old...he also puts his 5 y/o daughter in w/o a booster seat and she's smaller than my 3 y/o, who is still in a booster..some ppl are just ignorant
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Well I agree with you but my little guy is almost a year and he has been in a front faceing car seat since he was 9 months......But hes a big baby and grew out of the other seat. He had to bend his legs while he was sitting in it. So I felt like it was safer to chnge car seats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My 5 month old cannot even sit on his own............
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We had to change car seats when my son was 10 months old..he had to go front facing. hes almost 30 inches and 30 pounds...hes a big boy...he outgrew everything....his infant car seat didnt last very long either....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• but there are soooooooo many options to stay rear facing, we have a Safety1st convertible seat that reclines and leaves plenty of room for the legs and is not expensive at all, my dd is 7months and 22 lbs and very tall for her age she is the 100th percentile for height and weight, but it's not a valid reason to front face simply because your child is tall, it's really not. There are too many options to stay rear faced.
    All4OneN1forAll

Answer by All4OneN1forAll at 11:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• How about the fact that my son kicked over every car seat imaginable at 8 months? I couldn't keep him rear facing, even with the base he would kick and scream until he flipped it over. I got the bigger, convertible ones, he still flipped it. I turned him around forward, and he was fine. He was 20 lbs at 8 months, and was bigger than most 1 year olds, the only thing he wasn't doing was walking. I do agree 5 months is too early, but I don't think that every situation is the same.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009