How do I get rid of a mouse, humanely?

I have 3 cats, which apparently are completely useless. How do I get rid of a mouse in a way that will not hurt my cats? Is there a quick, painless death method or way to trap a mouse without killing it?

sararsara

Asked by sararsara at 10:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Buy a humane mouse trap, then when the mouse is in there, put it in your car and let the mouse go somewhere further away from your house. Yes it seems like a lot of trouble, but it doesn't hurt the mouse and is humane. It's what I would do personally as I don't like to kill things.
    Anonymous

• They do sell live traps, the only probelm, when you let them go, they come right back, if you have seen one mouse, that usually means there are more. I use the old fashioned kind with peanut butter, most of the time it kills them instantly. I hate killing anything, but you can't have mice, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I have used the type of stickie traps where they get stuck on there and cannot free themselves. Depending upon how long they have been stuck there when you find them, they may still be live when you find them....but no squished mouse mess. I would then pick them up with some old kitchen tongs (I threw them away when mouses were gone - never used on food again) and put them in a box and place the box into the dumpster in the alley.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Make sure your kitties are well fed then make a trail of cheese going out side and the mouse will soon be out the door...lol

Sorry that was the best I can come up with :)cat

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think regular spring traps are humane. They usually snap the neck and cause instant death. The sticky traps are tortur as far as I'm concerned. You have a living thing stuck and can't get out and they are terrified. evetually they starve to death. How is that even remotely humane? Mice are not endangered. They are filthy disease carrying rodents. I would never trap and release them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'm thinking if maybe I starve my cats they will get off their tails and go after a mouse.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 1:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The most humane way is the old fashioned kill em instantly traps. In our first house, we had a mouse problem and we used the glue traps and the mouse cannot be freed from the glue. They die a very slow death. Then there is one that they walk into and then cant get back out. When I found him, he had starved to the point of barely moving. Not humane either. The bait is okay, but again, they dont die instantly. If you put him out, they will come back. Just use the regular traps, keep them out of the way of the cats and let the man dispose of them. I dont care about womens lib issues...the man should have to kill the mouse! LOL.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2009