Has your dog ever killed another animal?

My border collie/lab mix did. I saw her aggressively going after what was just a blur to me in the corner of my eye (I freaked because I thought that it was the neighbor's cat, but I really didn't get a good look at first, just a running blur). I yelled at her and ran over to see if I could free the animal from her, but it was too late. When I got to where my dog was I discovered that what she had killed was a HUGE rat that had run into our yard from the dumpsters in the alley. I was in shock, that rat was as big as my daschund! My border collie/lab mix has gone to doggie heaven now, but since I am thinking of her saving us from the giant rat this morning, it made me wonder, has your dog ever killed another small animal to 'protect' you? P.S. I brought the dog in and left the rat for hubby to take care of....it was gross!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Oh yeah. My husbands dearly departed black lab was protective of his yard...any squirrel, rabbit, or skunk that ventured in was dead meat. He killed 9 skunks in a 3 week period when they began preparing an epty lot across the street for building. I have never been so tired of washing a dog in my whole life. BTW..original blue dawn and baking soda do an awesome job on skunk on a dog.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• BTW....this was the sweetest doggie that I ever owned and she never hurt any of my children, cats, squirrels, or small doggies....just the nasty rat. : ) I still cannot figure out how she knew that he didn't belong...but she knew.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My sweet little doggie who is part hound found a bunny home under our porch and killed the babies. It was sad and the kids had to have a funeral for them.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Well I dont think it was to "protect me" but my cocker spaniel/black lab mix killed/ate (I wasnt there that weekend so I'll never know what really happened) my mother's bird. She was so mad!
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My sled dogs average about twenty garter snakes every summer and some moles and chickens.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My dog is a beagle/shepherd mix and defintiely a hunter. He has killed several gophers in our yard, a rabbit, batlled a skunk and dug a couple of moles out of the ground. He has never hurt another dog though. The neighborhood cats are smart enough to stay away thankfully, if he ever got ahold of one I don't think it would be pretty and I would feel terrible. And I don't think he does it for security, I think it is just in his nature. Poor hubby always has to dispose of the remains. But I had to wash off the skunk spray.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Squirrels are my Dobermans mortal enemies. A squirrel in our yard would get the same reaction as 10 ninjas dressed in black jumping over the fence lol. He killed 3 squirrels last year. I honestly don't feel bad for them, they sit up on the fence literally taunting the dogs, flicking their tails and making some squirrel noise right over them. My Doberman discovered that when they are on the fence if he runs at the fence and slams it with his front paws that sometimes one will fall off. It doesn't seem to carry over to other small animals he's good with our Beagle/Basset mix, our rabbit, and 19 month old DD. He's even afraid of cats! He might chase one but the second it stands it's ground he backs WAY off and leaves it alone. He was scratched on the nose by my MIL's cat as a puppy, and knows not to mess with them lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My terrier and dachshund have killed countless moles. If one dares to tunnel thru our yard it will be dug up and killed. I also had a hound mix that took out a couple of rabbits-yet left our pet rabbit who does not live in a cage alone.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My mum's dog killed one of my rats after she escaped her cage. I miss my naked girl, Penny, alot but the dog was just doing what dogs do naturally. I can't blame her too much.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Our cats figured out how to open our iguana's cage and killed her. She was really tame too:(
    Anonymous