baby bjorn?

is this 80 dollar carrier really that much better than the less expensive front carriers out there?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Infantino is a horrible brand. Bjorn and snugli are also not the best choices for infant carriers... They dangle baby from the crotch, which is bad for their spine and you can't use it beyond infancy.

Look into slings and wraps like Krysta mentioned. If you can sew, you can make them really inexpensively.... or, check out etsy.com for reasonably priced handmade ones.

If you really want to spend some money and like the front (or back) carry, look into soft structured carriers. Ergos, Becos, pikkolos, etc... MUCH easier on your back, much better for babies spinal development and they can be used up until you really wouldn't even want to be carrying a child on your back!

I love, LOVE my pouch sling (hotsling) for when my son was smaller and now that he is bigger I am loving the ergo. I put him in either and he passes right out! lol.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• probably not, we got ours from walmart and it did the trick, even through airports!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I had one and never really used it. I used it probably 15 times total. I passed it on to my sister so that she wouldn't have to pay for it. I did like it, but I just found it easier to use a stroller usually. I never used a different brand of carrier to compare.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Those types of carries are crappy in general. They're that that good for baby's hip/spine. Personally, wraps and slings are more comfortable for mom and baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I got a Bjorn carreir for $20 at a garage sale. Then saw about five more at sales the rest of the summer for anywhere from $5-$15. They are durable and washable so a good thing to buy used if this is the brand you want. I liked the carrier fine but I would think they are all pretty much the same. I don't know if all carriers can hold the baby facing in or out but that part is key, because at the beginning you want them facing in but then you can turn them outward after a few months which baby enjoys, too. I have also heard it said that it is a good idea to borrow a carrier if you can at first to see what your baby will like. My daughter liked the Bjorn but hated the sling I tried for whatever reason. Although, I ended up just returning the sling to get my money back.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• thanks, i have two other infantino front carriers and so far am not impressed with the comfort or usability factors.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I wanted the baby bjorn carrier until I saw the price so I decided to get infantino. It was okay till my daughter started gaining weight it began to hurt my husbands back but other than that it was fine. I dont see how one could be different from the other since they both have the same purpose of use. My baby grew out of it really fast. Maybe its just my baby Im not sure since she was 16 pds at 4mths
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009