Has anyone taken their babysitter on vacation with them?

We are planning on taking our sitter on vacation with us this summer. We are going to pay for her room and meals and we had planned on giving her some shopping money and then paying her for her time.
Has anyone else done this? Did you pay them for their time also or just room and food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was the babysitter on vacation before. I loved it! Got to go on some cool trips. THey just paid my way to everything and gave me about $100 for the week. They always paid good when I babysat during the week but really it was fun just to go on the trips. I guess it would have been different if I worked the whole time but they treated me like family and i went everywhere with them sight seeing, swing with sting rays. My main purpose for being there was so they could go to one dinner without the kids and they had their own room. So it isnt like i worked the whole time i pretty much took the kids to te room at 9 and put them to bed and they went out at night otherwise we did stuff together the whole time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yes, we take ours every year. I have a 12 year old with autism and if I didn't I would be spending all of my time with him and not get time with my other 3, soon to be 4, kids. I pay her for her time as well as room and meals. We have paid $75/night or $100/day depending on who it was and how much time we expected. I would let her know beforehand what her "hours" will be, lay it out so you both know what to expect - will she be "working" from the time the kids get up until they go to bed or will she have some time off during the day?
    That being said, my mom took a sitter with us once and said she would never do it again because the sitter was too interested in attracting the other boys at the resort than looking after us, and she was a regular sitter for us.
    Make sure you know WELL the sitter you are inviting!

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Great question Anon, we are planning a trip with one of sitters and we had never done it before so we were not sure either on what to pay her.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We took our babysitter to the lake for the weekend. We had a nice boat and though she would have fun, while helping out with the kids. It was a disaster.

First, she refused to sleep in a tent alone, so she ended up bunking with the four of us. CROWDED. Then, she didn't like the food we brought, so all she ate was the candy and sodas she brought for herself. She wouldn't get in the water to swim or even wade. She got over-heated, dizzy from lack of food, and dehydrated from only drinking sodas. She cried. She begged us to take her home the first day. She called both her mother and her aunt and begged them to come get her. UGH!

We finally forced her to drink lots of water and eat an apple. Then we got rid of the candy and sodas and made her eat REAL food. She felt better the second day and started to have some fun. However, we decided we would NEVER bring her again. She was more work than both the kids!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• When I was 19 A family took me on Vaca with them to the beach. They paid my room and meals and gave me something like maybe 75 dollars to do whatever with. I also got one whole day and night to myself for 'my vacation' as they said. It was awesome! I got to take the kids to the beach and to play on the boardwalk. It was awesome.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I was the babysitter taken along, two different times, but the same family, same vacation. The dad's family owns a nice cabin up on a lake, so I had my own room in the cabin. They fed me everything unless I chose to buy a snack or something when we were out & about. The biggest thing I was there for was to watch the kids while mom & dad went boating & fishing - which was fine with me because the kids were really little, and I wasn't a fan of boating or fishing! We did a few different things, did some shopping, spent time on the beach, nothing major - very relaxing. I don't remember how much they paid me, not a whole terrible lot but I was fine with it because it was my only vacation, it got me away from my siblings, they paid for everything, and they were just an awesome family to sit for anyway - we also lived right across the street from them ;). They took my sister one year too when we were all older.
    Anonymous