brushing teeth

so i brush my sons teeth every night. but the thing is, i might get a minute in. he wants to do it himself. so he likes his teeth brushed, as long as he does it lol. how long should his teeth be brushed, he's only got 7 right now. after i get them, he takes the brush and tries brushing them and chews on the tooth brush.

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a stage... and it's not a huge deal now, but you should keep trying to get him to let you do it. A minute's good though,,.. my 15 month old won't stand it for that long. M 2 1/2 year-old was like that, too, at that age, and now she spits out tooth paste, brushes pretty darn well herself, and lets us go to town!! So I'm trying to keep that in mind with the little one... One trick we used with our older daughter was to let her brush our teeth (with our tooth brushes, of course), while we brushed hers. She was so concentrated on brushing ours that she'd relax her mouth and let us in there. Then, when she was older, we made up names for the teeth (not all of them, but we had 4-5 names we'd through out), and we'd tell her "wait, we have to get Gertrude, open up again." Maybe she's just an odd ball, though :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• let him chew on it, my daughter is the same way she is 18mopths now, i dont even kow how many teeth she has.we let her brush her teeth first then she will let dad brush em after she does it 1st.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My 2 year old has two tooth brushes. There is the one I brush her with and then the one she "brushes" with. I wish I had done this with my oldest, she fights me to get her to try and brush her teeth.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• *sigh* my son is 2 and he will hardly let me get any good brushes because he takes it and "brushes" hiimself which is more just chewing like you said.
    Anonymous

• ya he's already in the my do it stage lol.....i think i will be doing terrible twos quite early lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2009