How do i get my daughter to go to sleep at night and stay in her own bed?

My 6 year old daughter shares a room with my 5 year old niece. This just started about a few months ago and hopefully will not be going on for a extremely long period of time. My daughter has bunk beds so the beds are sperate and when we put the girls to bed they talk and build tents and other things instead of going to sleep. Then in the morning and all the next day they are grumpy and have to be forced to take a nap in seperate rooms. My daughter also finds the need to get in bed with my niece and i cant break her of it. I have tried everything.. I have seperated them and when my daughter is asleep i move her to her bed but that causes my niece to scream and holler for hours because she doesnt want to be by herself in the room. I have tried everything i dont know what else to do ... but it is becoming more work for me then it needs to be ... HELP

misskitty209

Asked by misskitty209 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try putting the girls to bed a bit earlier, telling them they can talk and play for X number of minutes and when that time is up (you will go in and let them know), it's time to turn out the lights and go to sleep, no talking!

It may or may not work, but it's worth a try. I had to do this with my room sharing children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The other thing you could try is putting the 5 year old to bed a little before the 6 year old. I started putting my kids to bed at staggering times and it help with the talking. This might not work because it sounds like the younger one might be to scared for this.

I agree with letting them talk a little and I also agree with going back in the room. I think that if your daughter gets up and sleeps in the same bed with her cousin it might not be that bad. I would try letting them go to bed and if they end up in the same bed leave them and see what happens. Also, I would talk to you DD and find out why she keeps getting into bed with her cousin.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2009