What do NON-Christian religions have to say about homosexuals?

We always hear about what the Bible says about homosexuality. But what do the other world religions say about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Muslim, but I do know that the Ayatollah of Iran was asked when visiting an American university, "What will you do to ensure civil rights to homosexuals in Iran." And his response, "We don't have problems like homosexuality in our country. That's an American problem."

My mother's family is Jewish. Her uncle used to always ask everyone if they were gay, then he'd ask how much money they made. He was just a rude old man. Jews traditionally believe that sex is reserved for man-woman marriage, but as a group are pretty relaxed about it. Since Jews believe this life is the one that counts, they don't concern themselves with going to hell for sins.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• In traditional Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism homosexuality is thought of as out of harmony and potentially harmful to ones karma and should be avoided. Modern, mostly western Buddhist and some Hindus are more open to anything and everything...but that's just western life if you ask me.

Anonymous

• I'm Pagan. While each person may have their own feelings on the subject as a religious community, Pagans say Yay for Gay! There is no discrimination or hatred toward homosexuals among Pagan belief systems. The basic rule is, if it isn't hurting anyone, go for it! That includes sex!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I practice Buddhism. There isn't any sutra specifically dealing with homosexually. A lot of the treatment of homosexually in Buddhism has more to do with culture than any specific religious teaching. It tends to be frowned upon in the more traditional societies in Asia and is seen as more acceptable in the more liberal western societies. Contrary to what Anon:11 states, I have never read any discussion of homosexually being bad for your karma- at least not any moreso than any other form of sexual activity or attachment to physical desire.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Judaism and Islam aren't fans of homosexuals
    Anonymous

• Atheists believe that everyone has the right to live their own lives.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• IT makes sense that Christians, Muslims and Jews all agree on this subject. Since the basic "rule" comes from a scripture found in the OT, which is followed by all 3 faiths either in whole or in part... However to my knowledge beyond the reach of Abrahamic traditions there is little to no intolerance of homosexuals. It tends to be only those that follow the OT that have a great abhorrence of homosexuality. The rest tend to see it as nature.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If you don't approve of homosexual acts, then don't have them...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Pagans have no issues with homosexuality. To treat another child of the universe as being lessor than themselves constitutes harm and harming another is a big no no in our ways.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Pagan here, and I absolutely LOVE homosexuals.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2009