My BF baby is now waking up more than before

My 9 mo.old baby seems to wake up more now at night than she did before. I feed her good throughout the day and night before bed, but, my concern is that she is now using bf as a pacifier and not so much as feeding because as soon as I feed her she goes to sleep. She's doing this about 3-4 times a night. What have you done when this happens? When do they grow out of this? My doc says to let her CIO she doesn't need to feed that many times at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be anything from an ear infection to teething to just realizing she can get you in the room to pick her up and feed her when she cries :)
    I used to wait about 5 min and my kiddos would fall back to sleep.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my son did this too he used to sleep threw the night but it seems like since he was about 9 months ol he wakes up about one or twice a night.and its fora cup and a diaper change.now sometimes he has a bad dream or gets his foot stuck in the blan ket and he freaks out and want s comfort.but besides that .. id k. good luck mama.
    this is what i do tho..
    i put in a movie for his when its bedtime. i turn the volume down soo you really got to be quiet to hear it. and place a sleep timer on. once the timer is off and the tv goes off no more. and if hes not alseep by then then touph. now i do let him whine it out sometimes.if hes not screaming bloody murder ill let him whimper untill he goes back to be. but if hes super crying ill get up.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would allow her to 'CIO' fpr about 5-10 min. If it was just fussy crying and not distressed crying. Maybe try other forms of night time comfort rather rthan the breast if she crys to long or seems truly upset.  Rocking, rubbing her back, walking the halls...She may just be self waking and then needing to figure out how to get herself back to sleep. It could also be a growth spurt. Pretty common at 9 months. 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Personally, and this is just ME, but if my child wakes wanting to nurse, I nurse them. Doesn't matter how old, or how many times a night. I feel it's the right thing to do. But, if you feel that your baby isn't actually hungry and would like to try other ways of getting her back to sleep, try a snuggle, or rubbing their back, if you don't want to let her cry. I've never done CIO in the middle of the night, and my oldest is 4. If she wakes up, either I or DH go and comfort her. DS is 2 and no longer night nursing (except very occasionally). When he wakes, we go and rub his back, which usually does the trick. If it doesn't, he comes to bed with us for a bit, and depending on what time it is, we either move him back to his crib, or let him stay until morning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• At this age they are busybodies.. they're learning so much during the day that they may not have the attention span to nurse as much as they need to refill the calories they burn growing and getting into trouble! So, they make up for it at night. It's a perfectly normal, even common, behaviour for the age. Once they're walking and used to all their new abilities, they will sleep more at night.

Do you co-sleep?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You know, I might be a minority here, but I always just fed them. My kids are 13, 7, and 2. I'm due in january to have my fourth baby. I just fed them-yes, you will be tired. But I got them out of their bed, then I would feed them, sometimes then rock them until they were sleeping. I'm an attachment parent, and I love the closeness you get from techniques in attachment parenting. So, hey-you have two years of not sleeping much? No big deal. When your baby is ten, twenty, or older, you will know you did the best you could for them-and trust me, when they are older, they won't need you as much. You'll miss it.
    It'll get better. My son is now over two, and he sleeps all night with no problem, and has for a while now-I went through the exact same thing as you are now, but when he was 9 months. So, it doesn't last. Just hang in there, and he'll outgrow his need to wake so much at night. Enjoy her!
    celestegood

Answer by celestegood at 1:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• And I would like to say congratulations on still being a breastfeeding mother!  My son is 2 now, and was breastfed until I was six, almost seven months pregnant (I just couldn't-no milk came out) so had it not been for this new baby due in january, I'd still be breastfeeding him!  It's a wonderful thing.  Good for you.  We're a minority. 

celestegood

Answer by celestegood at 1:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• 9 months is a milestone and time for a growth spurt. Waking is normal. And it is normal for them to want to eat more
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thank you all for your wonderful experience, advice and commendation. It really does help to hear other people's perspective on things and I will keep all your thoughts in mind and enjoy my LO while I can =)
    Anonymous

• i do think it might be more for comfort than for nutrition at that age. that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing though. or it could be that she is having a growth spurt and really is hungry. my doctor also said we should do CIO but i knew that wasn't something i was comfortable with. have you read "the no cry sleep solution"? there are some really good tips in that book. but you have to work hard at them for them to work. i decided to just keep doing things as i was, and my son would stop waking frequently when he was ready. that took until he was about 17 months old!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009