after csection, how long before you had to walk, shower, ect....

I'm having a planned csection next tuesday at 1:30pm. I'm wondering when I can expect the nurses to make me take my first walk, eat, remove the catheder, take my first shower....

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my first c-section it was very hard to get up the first time. I was in a LOT of pain. They got me up within 24 hours. I healed very fast though. Each time I got up I felt better than the time before. I was so nervous because they took out the catheter the first time I stood up, so I knew I would have to get up again for the bathroom. It really wasn't that bad though. I didn't take a shower until my last day in the hospital. My second c-section was much better. I took a shower by myself the next day and got up without much pain at all. Good luck to you!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I had an unplanned cesarean (after 30 hours of natural/unmedicated labor) around 1130 am I think and was over drugged for it. I was in and out of consciousness and couldn't really talk or even lift my arms to hold DD until around 6pm. They had me get up and walk the next morning, I think I showered the next day too, like that evening.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• they like to have you up within 24 hours of having a C section. You will heal a lot faster if you walk for a little and stretch the muscles that have been cut and damaged. walking within the first 24 hours helps prevent clotting as well, and draining the fluid that is left in your belly. you'll be able to eat minimally, make sure you eat a lot of fiber, because any surgery to your abdomen causes constipation. ask for laxitives if you have a hard time with bowel movements...which may take up to 3 days for you to do your thing! you also kinda have to relearn how to pee!...so be prepared to reeducate yourself lol
    first shower could probably be the next day if your up to it. because you just had major surgery it's VERY tiring!
    they move the catheder usually when you star to get feeling back in your legs and feet.
    for my first child it was a 6 wk recovery and 2 was 2wks...so it gets better! good luck! worth it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My epi was removed with the urinary cath. 12 hours post surgery. I was told to get up and practice standing a few time and to call for help with bathroom trips. They will want to mesure your output the first 2-3 times you go. I was able to eat right away as soon as everything calmed down and I had fed my child. I was told to shower when I was ready once the catheters were pulled.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I had a scheduled c-section as well. Let me know if you have more questions about it. I think they took my catheter out the day after my c-section. Pretty much, once you can get up to go to the bathroom. They want you to walk in 24 hours. They will help you with this. It sucks. I was really dizzy. Once you can walk on your own, make sure you do a few laps a day around the maternity ward. You need to keep the blood moving in your legs. Also, make sure you take the stool softeners they give you. I had pretty normal bowel movements at the hospital, but once I got home it was a different story. I didn't go for a few days and then when I did, it was seriously one of the most painful things ever. Way worse than anything that happened to me in the hospital. I showered either one or two days after my surgery I think. They will try to keep you clean down there before then. It is a little awkward, but they do it everyday.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009