Is there really a such thing as nipple confusion?

I was told by a doctor it is just something the media advertises to get people to breastfeed their babies..

vc_green87

Asked by vc_green87 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Nipple Confusion
    Answer Center Nipple Confusion. Nipple Confusion Questions answered about nipple confusion. ... Nipple Confusion - What it is and how to avoid it! ...
    www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/answer_nipple_confusion.html
    I used breast and bottle neither kid was confused
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• According to my doctor and based on my experiences with my kids, it is a myth.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• yes, there is such a thing.
    sonnytook

Answer by sonnytook at 3:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• YES. My son was in the hospital a month after he was born and the nurse gave him a bottle with formula without my permission. Prior to that he was a CHAMPION nurser, it never even hurt to breastfeed for me! Then his latch got completely messed up and never quite got right. It went from easy nursing to painful never-right nursing. I ended up having to start exclusively pumping because we never could get his latch back to the way it should be, and a few months later I had supply issues and eventually lost my milk. I ended up having to give him milk from a lovely mom who donated hers to me, and then after that we had to switch to formula. It's very real, and if it happens to you (and you are REALLY wanting to breastfeed) it can be one of the worst emotional journeys you take in early motherhood :(
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• And by the way, if my doctor ever tried to give me a load of crap like nipple confusion being "made up" I would give him a huge chunk of my mind and would switch doctors. This doctor sounds too opinionated and very ill-informed.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Never Happened to me.
    coffeeaholic

Answer by coffeeaholic at 8:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2008