Honest, please SAHM's.

Ok I'm a SAHM, of a three year old litte girl, and I do alot of house cleaning, laundry, and I cook breaskfast lunch, and supper we only go out to eat on Sundays. But at times I feel like i'm not bringing in the bacon, the money. I feel like after my cleaning and stuff when I sit on the couch to watch TV with the little one I feel useless if I'm not doing something. I just feel like being a SAHM that we really do alot for our families but I just feel useless because my hubby is the one bringing the income and not me. What am I suppose to think?

Destany22

Asked by Destany22 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am goin g back after too many years of soing that. I am so bored. I went from ft in Wall Street to sahm for 14 years! Go back to work and get your welf esteem back on track. I lost mine and have to go back and work it out......
    Anonymous

• washing dishesConsider your self lucky alot of working mom's would love to trade places with you. I too am a SAHM and I know what you mean it gets kind of lonesome here with out having an adult here to talk to so I hang out with the girls on cafemom...lol Just continue doing what you are doing and I am sure your hubby appreciates what you do...we have it made as far as I'm concerned.

busy mom

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• you know what....think about it this way....who would watch your child if you were at work? you'd be PAYING someone for daycare or whatnot....so don't feel bad when you sit on the couch from time to time.
    if you feel that bad about it...find out something you can do from home to bring in a little extra cash?...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think that what you are feeling is normal. In our society people are nothing without earning some kind of money. I personally however, also stay at home with my kids. And although I do not get as much time to sit as I used to with just one (3 now) I don't think you should feel bad about it. The way I look at it is that if I did go back to work I would be paying somebody else to sit and watch tv and play with my kids, and although I know that is an old argument, it is what I want for my kids. Being at home does not mean that you have to "work" all the time and be exhausted all the time. You are there to spend time with your family, please don't feel bad about it. You are the only person who can be that for your child
    picot08

Answer by picot08 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Realize that you have tremendous value. How much would it cost to hire a sitter for your kids? Hire a maid for your house? Have the laundromat do your wash? Have a cook prepare the meals?

Just because you don't bring home money does not mean that what you do for your household does not have value. To that end, all SAHMs should have life insurance to cover the expenses of childcare, food prep, housekeeping, etc. Since hubby is working, who will do these things if something happens to you?

I'm in the opposite situation-- I'm the one who brings home money and hubby gets to stay home with the baby. I think of it this way-- but for my husband's contribution, I would not be making the money that I do-- so he's worth every penny that I make.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i went back to work part time at night so there was time i could spend with the kids during the day and my husband has them at night. The best thing is that i dont have to pay a baby sitter
    star_6_1

Answer by star_6_1 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I feel like that a lot too, even though its really not true. I just feel like I should make some kind of money. I DO work hard, and constantly. (lol there are two kids in my lap now, one nursing, a pie in the oven and the vaccuum will be ran for the 2nd time today in 20 minutes!) but I obviously dont bring in any money!

I like Busimommi's answer!
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• well i keep myself busy working on small stuff online making money..no surveys but jobs.. email me and ill tell ya bout it.. its not much money but it keeps me from sitting on my butt
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Have you considered getting a part time job?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I work from home and I love it!!! I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009