Looking for solution's on what to do with my little munchkin while in the hospital?

I have a scheduled c-section January 5th and the hospital isn't allowing children under 14 into the hospital, this complicates things because our daughter is 2 and EVERYONE want's to be at the hospital. My husband wants to send her to Grandma's for the first 2 days but I don't think that's fair. Besides, I'm pretty sure Grandma is coming here. It's getting closer and closer and I'm worried. I don't want her upset because she hasn't seen me for about 3 days and we come home with a new baby.
*My daughter has had the H1N1 shot, and flu shot

lewey1223

Asked by lewey1223 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your daughter needs to sleep in her own bed each night. That is first. Now who is in charge of her when is the next question. Nobody needs to be at the hospital 24/7. That is just ridiculous. I would think that you could easily rotate adults through the house depending on how far you live from the hospital. There is nothing to do and nothing to lok at during a c-section. You will probably want your husband to hold your hand, but the gang is not going to scrub up and witness major surgery. And it isn't like all the grandparents are going to get to hold the baby especially within minutes of the delivery. There really is no reason that everybody (except hubby) can't wait at your house where they can help your daughter make a birthday cake for the new baby. Hubby should call home with the news and tell your daughter first. Then she can be the one to tell all the rest of the family. That will make it really special.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would just ask whoever is wanting to come if they would be willing to maybe stay at your house with her, maybe grandparents could take turns? My parents came here because I had a scheduled induction and it was so they were able to stay at our house and our son wasn't uprooted. I had the same concerns as you. Surely if you explain your feelings your family will understand and help out.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am in the medical profession.. I work in a hospital.. We have the same rules... because of the widespread flu epidemic, I highly doubt that they will let your toddler in the hospital.. its to protect the patients and your child.... You can ask for them to allow her there.. but if it were my hospital, they would wonder why your not taking this issue seriously and ask you not to come, and if the toddler showed up, you would be asked to remove her from the facility... this is a serious issue, and should be taken seriously..
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 7:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's not an option to take her, as much as we would like her there to meet her brother. It is just not an option. Why wouldn't I take an issue like that seriously? I wouldn't of posted the question "Solutions" if I had every intention to take her. I'm just floored on how rude your "answer" is when in all honesty I know all this. We are looking for a solution for her to stay in her own home, and bed.
    lewey1223

Answer by lewey1223 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• My hospital said the same thing..
    What you should do is just have everyone meet you at your house after you have the baby.. This will give you and your husband a couplke days to have just baby time.Also Have some one stay at your house with your daughter. THats what we did. People can still visit you and Bring your daughter and leave also..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I have had 2 c sections.. I missed my daughter more then she missed me lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• I still don't understand why it is a problem to have adults rotate watching your daughter at home? I really don't get it. Does everybody think that they need to physically be in the hospital the moment the baby is born or are you worried about the 2-4 days of recovery?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I know every pregnancy is different. I had a lot of complications with my daughter and I was in the hospital for 4 days, We live pretty far away from most of our family and I know my mom or my mother in law cant just take a ton of time off and drive up here. They keep offering to take our daughter home with them but if its completely opposite from my first pregnancy what would be the point of them taking her and then turning around and bringing her back. It would be a lot simpler if we lived close to our family. I know what I want to happen, I just don't think I have the people willing to help. Thanks for all the advice.
    lewey1223

Answer by lewey1223 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2009