How do you and your Husband handle inlaws for the Holidays???

I adore my inlaws and we get along great but I would rather spend Christmas day with my Parents and Sisters. But at the same time it's not fair to my Husband. We have been married 6 years and it's been the same every year. We spend Christmas Eve with his Family and Christmas evening with mine. Is that being selfish?? Should we alternate every year? How do you do it???

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• well if you guys both want to spend a certain time with your family every year, then i would say you should definatly alternate every year so that you both get too. thats only fair. my SO's family doesnt do anything on christmas eve, but my family does christmas eve so we always go to my familys on christmas eve, and we go to his family on christmas day. thanksgiving, both of our familys have dinner, but honestly, i will never go to his familys house for dinner because my family does everything for me, and for us & our son so i will always be there. we go to this familys for dessert or something.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If no one else minds, then I guess what you're doing is working,, but why not alternate if someone wants a change one year? I feel the same way about my family, and thankfully we all live close enough I can hit up both houses the same day every year... actually now that you ask I may do Christmas morning at my in-laws this year and stay over if no one else is!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• We're having a party exclusively for his family the 19th. We are a spread out bunch and he has 3 brothers and 3 sisters plus their spouses. So 1 big family party is a huge ordeal. We're hosting it. No one can be disappointed if we travel or stay home alone for any holiday.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Everyone stopped doing the holidays at my family. So I spend it with my husband's family and invite everyone over. It is really sad how a multimillonaire will go to a restaurant and not celebrate with family and here I am barely making the mortgage inviting everyone over for two holidays? WTH? I know shoot me, but I am definitely the bigger person in my family. No matter what they say. Plus I always lose weight from running up and down from entertaining in my home!!!
    Anonymous