Forgiveness vs. Aronenment

Ok. What is the difference between forgiveness of sins and atonement of sins? Isn’t it essentially the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Atonement means to pay for. Forgiveness is what sinners get after Jesus atones for their sins.

Anonymous

• well, from my understanding... and correct me if I'm wonrg. Is that forgiveness can be general, but atonement describes how the frogiveness takes place. So, in Christianity the atonement took place on the cross, it is describes as a ransom for our sin. It a redeeming, a buying back, a purchased with blood. Like in order to free captives there must be a payment, so for Christianity, atonement describes the payment as being made through Jesus, and his death on the cross, the victory of course being Him conquering death on the 3rd day. The forgiveness takes place through this, when all sin, past, present and future is forgiven for those who come to Jesus.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• So, Jesus payed for the sins, what does that mean?

And then people can be forgiven because Jesus payed for their sins? I really don't understand, I'm not bashing, lol.

Why did God say this in the OT, if, since this was before Jesus, he wasn't forgiving their sins because they hadn't been "payed for "yet?? If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin" (2 Chronicles 7:14) Did God change His mind?

Anonymous

• Thank you precious333, I understand that a little better now, but I still wonder about what I just posted above before I saw your reply.

Anonymous

• Before Jesus, the OT encouraged people to at least try to pay for their own sins. They all failed of course. But yes Jesus' work on the cross did extend back to those who were trying to follow God's laws. Those that humbled themselves and prayed and tried to seek God's face. The plan was in place even before Jesus arrived.
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't really see that Christians have gained anything, they still have to humble themselves and seek God and pray. Christians still fall and sin, they fail time and time again..I don't see why Jesus then makes it all miraculously work all of a sudden. Isn't God all powerful? Why does he need Jesus?

Anonymous

• The word atonement means "to make up for, to pay for, to make amends" Humans atone. Gods/ goddesses/ deities forgive.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Atonement is on the wrongdoer- to atone for sin is to pay back, to make right. Forgiveness is on the injured party- to forgive the transgression.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Atonement means it is like it never happened. Forgiveness just means you wont be judged for it, it still is important and remembered.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Atonement means to make amends for error or sin. To DO something to make amends (as where Jesus atoned for our sins by giving up his perfect life for us). Forgiveness is where error or sin is pardoned, erased, with nothing further required.
    JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009