Too old to believe in Santa Claus?

How old is to old to believe in Santa Claus? I have a 9 year old and I think he still believe in Santa. Do I wait until he asks to tell him there is no Santa?

Annette4797

Asked by Annette4797 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think my son was 9 or 10 when he asked about it- my daughter was around 8
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Let him figure it out on his own. I think that's the best way. All the people I know that say they were scarred by their parents "lying" to them about Santa had their parents just up and tell them at some arbitrary age (or had an older sibling/friend spill it) before they were ready to understand the true meaning of the Santa myth. Much better to just let them figure it out on their own.
    But you can start hinting at it. I've already stopped trying to keep up the myth. I don't wrap "Santa's" gifts different then the ones we give the kids. I use my own handwriting for all the tags, etc. Whenever the kids ask about Santa as they try to figure it out I ask them what they think and let them mull over the logistics of Santa delivering gifts all over the world. They usually come up with some interesting theories. I think my 8yo son and 9yo dd have figured it out. My 7yo dd believes 100% and my 3yo really doesn't care.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I had to tell my son when he was 11. He still believed very strongly. I told him because I was afraid he would tell his friends what Santa brought him and they would make fun of him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I'm 32 yrs old & Santa STILL leaves something in my stocking every year.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You are NEVER too old to believe!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 1:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i tell my children around at 4. i dont like the idea of lying to them. i never really told my kids there was a santa, but they hear and see about him, so my son who is 4 knows there is no santa, and its just a man dressed in a red suit.
    Anonymous

• you tell them at 4? wow. that's kind of sad...I mean most kids still believe until at least 7ish...
    Anonymous

• You are NEVER too old to believe!

that's exactly how I feel...anyone who gives to others is Santa in my book ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Everyone is too old to believe in santa. The dude is a freak that gives over-privledged kids crap they don't need and lies to them about where they got it while kids in other countries are starving and dying. Why feed into such a gross lie of spoiled "I want, I need, I get"?
    Anonymous

• Both my boys just figured it out on their own. My oldest was 2 years ago when he was 10, and my middle son is 10 this year. He said "mom, I know that Santa's not real" and he seemed okay with it. I said "That's fine, does that mean you don't want presents from Santa anymore?" He laughed and said "Now I didn't say that!" LOL. So I just told him that because of his little sister still believing in Santa, he's not to say anything to lead her to believe otherwise. She should be allowed to figure it out on her own when she is ready to. I don't think there is any one "age" that is too old to believe in Santa. I think it's just whenever a child's logic catches up and they figure it out themselves.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009