question about minute rice

ok im making a crockpot of food that i started at 7:30 this morning on low. i'm wondering if i can throw a cup or 2 of minute rice in there and the juices and heat will cook it or if i should just follow the directions on the box and cook it stovetop instead? if i can do the crockpot and want to serve the food at 5, about what time should i add the uncooked rice, and should i turn it up to high or leave it on low when rice is added?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Is there adequate liquid in there to cook it? If not, then add extra water and the rice around 3 and keep it on low. I've never had a problem cooking the rice in there, but it will get mushier than if you'd cook it on the stove or in the microwave. So if you have picky eaters, cook it seperate, otherwise throw it in. I've done it with a variety of things before and it's gotten eaten - but I don't have picky eaters. If there's a lot of grease or fat in there though, I'd hesitate to cook it in there too - it'll use the grease/fat to cook and you'll just be eating all that grease then. What are you making?
    Anonymous

• Lol true. I kinda just went thru my pantry this morning and threw a bunch of stuff in, I cut up some frozen boneless pork strips and added 2 cans of tomatoes, a can of white beans, corn, peans, carrots, and didn't drain the juices off the cans so it would be more liquidy. It is really juicy in there now! I'm sure they can deal with mushy rice :) thanks for the answer!
    Anonymous