4 year old is fighting naps???? HELP!!!!!

My DD just turned 4 and has taken a 2 hour nap everyday. Now as soon as she lays down she says she wants to get up & then she will cry & scream. I told her that she didn't have to sleep but she needed to rest & she still cries. I end up letting her get up. She needs the down time & so do I. What can I do??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never took naps as a kid (at least as far back as my memory goes, which is at least age 3). My kids gave up naps altogether by age 3.... so really don't know what to tell ya. Seems it would take more effort & be more stressful on you both to try to make her take the nap than it would to let her stay up if she wants.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• She may be ready to give up the nap. Honestly, neither of my two made it past 2 1/2 still napping. By four, many (not all, but a very large majority) of the kids we know have outgrown naps.

Instead of putting her down for a nap, start finding time for a quiet activity. Change your routine so she's not connecting the two concepts. With my two, the 'former nap' time became a good time to sit and watch a movie or favorite DVD. It was a good time to cuddle on the couch and read some books. It was the perfect time to set them up in their respective rooms with paper and crayons. I called it "quiet time." At that appointed time, each day, I'd simply say, "Ok, guys. It's time to try a quiet activity for a bit. What should we do?" As long as they didn't think "sleep" was the goal, they were ok.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would make her watch a movie or something for down-time. Both my kids quit taking naps when they hit 2.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• my dd went through this. She doesnt nap anymore, unless its been a really busy day. And even then its not for about 30 mins. What we do is put the baby gate up in her doorway so she cant get out at all. turn on her favorite show or movie. and then give her a sippy cup and she usually lays down and "relaxes" for at least an hour maybe 2. the gate makes her calm down and give u your own little quiet time.
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think she is done with naps. Try quiet time with a movie.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Sounds like she is done with naps. My son just turned two and he very rarely naps anymore. Maybe once every other week. I usually lay him down and ask him to be quiet so his little brother can fall asleep. Once his brother is asleep I give him some books to look at for about 40 minutes and then he comes out to the living room and watches a tv show. If I have all the cleaning done then that I want to do that day we do a craft or work on his letters or something if my youngest son is still sleeping.
    Anonymous