Are you being affected by the economy?

If so, how?
If not, do you fear that you WILL be affected by it eventually?

ammil87

Asked by ammil87 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• my husband was fired from CAT the machine comp. and they did it because they're just trying to weed people out and cut costs....so...everything has gone downhill since then.
    Anonymous

• yes we are, we had a nice 3 bedroom house in south carolina, hubby lost his job and cant find another, couldnt afford the rent so we had to pick up and move in with reletives to Kansas. we are now living in his paretns finished basement. he has a job now but its minimum wage. sucks, all we can do now is save our money to get a place of our own.
    Anonymous

• The only that that has affected us is the way APRs in our credit cards have all gone up as well as our utilities. Otherwise, our debt is our debt and we have to pay it down. Luckily he's military so he has a steady job. As for me, nothing that will pay for daycare is hiring out here and the wait list for childcare on base is over six months long.
    Anonymous

• Yes we are being affected by it.
    My husband has been given the chose of transfer to a different city ith inthe next 2 months or get fired. USAirways is doing alot of cutbacks. They are pulling completely out of Kansas City KS and Colorado Springs CO , The cut backs are in LA CA San fransico CA ( alot of other stations as well in CA) and here is Las Vegas. They are laying people off here going back 10 years. So if you havent worked here for 11 yeara then you are getting either fired or transfered. We find out dec 16th where we are going.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yes. We moved to Kansas for a "better job" for DH and the only good thing is we have health insurance. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for that much but the wages have been frozen, we've gone through all our savings and have so much to do with our tax refund when we get that next year, that it is basically gone too. The town we live in is small and stores charge two or three times as much for everything than the stores did back home. There is only one good doctor here that we have found and thank God, it is our children's pediatirican. I only feel fear for the future.
    Anonymous

• The University of California raised tuition rates by 32% and I have a son who is in his first year, so more out of pocket expense. The yearly tuition is still cheaper than what we paid for high school, so I'm I'm not complaining. Higher public education in CA is still affordable compared to many states, although higher state income taxes probably balance out the difference.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yes, Dh has had his hours cut 2X and our roommate was laid off. Both have been looking for new jobs for about 6 months and there is very little out there. When we moved to this area the local papers Sunday edition had 3-5 pages of want ads every week, now they barely have 1/2 a page.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• yes, everyone is. We have been bringing in less and being in construction, this time of year is slow, but at least we are getting enough jobs to pay the bills. It affects everybody in one way or another.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Actually, no. We had a pretty penny tucked away, and it's still there. I'm still finishing grad school, didn't have to quit to go back to work. Husband is military, so no job cuts there.
    Anonymous

• Yep. DH's work has slowed down to a crawl - nothing since October. Every family we know has at least one person laid off, in some cases both. My nephew was let go the day before TG - "have a good weekend, don't come back, we're replacing you with two part timers." Other nephew is a bricklayer - union hasn't had work in a year. He was lucky enough to get a friend to hire him on as a farmhand in the meantime. Just finally got word he's in line to get called back on a job...in March.

The only person we're buying presents for this year is our kid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009