Any former catholics?

Any1 else who grew up catholic and left the church?
Why did you leave?
I left because I felt the church was not following the teachings of the Bible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Apparently the catholics around here just can't stand for those of us who have left the church to have a place to talk and ask questions and come together. That's their problem. Gotta butt their noses into everyone's life, just like their church teaches. Do not let the people do their own interpretation and study of the bible, make sure to keep the sheep in line. That's the motto of the catholic church. Keep the sheep in line and do not allow them to think. Thank you to those former catholics who truly answered the question. And those catholics who can't leave those of us who disagree with you alone, I'll keep you in my prayers. You REALLY need the help. Good night.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I was raised Catholic.
    I felt like the mass and teachings were too impersonal, even though I respect them overall. I didnt feel like I was interacting with other people or God enough.
    We are Baptist (my fiance and I)
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I left the church because I got tired of the preaching of hate to anyone different. I don't believe that being gay is a sin, nor is using birth control, among other things. I felt like a hypocrite in catholic church because I disagree with SOOOO many of their key dogma.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the previous posters. I left the church because it was too impersonal and the dogma of the faith was against my own beliefs, study, prayer and reflection with the Lord. Now if only the Catholic guilt was as easy to leave behind.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Mines not a big deal. I never left, i never attended church but it was a roman catholic church down the street where i grew up. We just never went (we, as in my mom, grandparents) we only went on Ash, christmas, easter. I am not christian either. I am wiccan and i dont believe in the bible and never have since i was little. it didnt suit me and how i felt. Its just a big ol lie to scare people. I am glad we dont go and have sit through a boring mass, kneeling and getting up. LAME
    Anonymous

• i was raised catholic, i left because i didnt feel complete there. I saw alot of bad things going on there that i did not agree with and totally went against the bible. I went to a different church assuming that it was just that group of people, but found the same thing in the other church. i visited a couple of others, then just stopped going altogether after someone started a rumor about a friend of mine and me. Someone saw me hugging him in front of the church and told people that me and him were making out on the church steps. this friend of mine had just told me that he found out he had cancer, he started to cry, so i hugged him. I lost hope after that and never returned.
    Anonymous

• I see many left because of individuals/people at a particular church or a personal experience they had. The Catholic Church has a huge variety from traditional Catholics to Charismatic Catholics; Latin Rites, Eastern Rites - it's pretty diverse in many ways.

But if you left because of teachings - how well did you study Catholic teachings before determining that they were wrong? Do you really understand why certain teachings are taught and you disagree with the reasoning, or is just inconvient/doesn't feel right for you personally? If you left because you disagree with a biblical interpretation - why do you think you're interpretation is more accurate than the historical interpretation? Thanks!
    Anonymous

• I left when I realized there was absolutely no evidence of a higher power.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Anon :45, Why do you think that the Catholic interpretation of the Bible is the most accurate? How well do you know the people you are questioning about their personal reasons for leaving the church? Are you Catholic? Are you Catholic because you were raised that way or because you deeply believe the teachings of the faith? Are you Catholic because it is simply convenient for you and the beliefs as you were raised? Thanks!
    Anonymous

• Anon :45, now to answer your questions. I studied the teaching of the faith very much before choosing to leave the church. It was not something I did overnight or on a whim. I consulted with my priests (we moved a lot, I've had a lot of priests) over the years and the decision to leave was not something I chose in one second, it was many years coming because of the lack of personalization and answers given by those various priests.

The catholic faith is very much against my own personal study and reflection on the Bible. The stance on some of the teachings is in direct contradiction to my study of scripture.

Your last question is very much to start drama as there have been more interpretations of the Bible and no one interpretation is the "historical" interpretation. As study and interpretation takes time, it is not something that can be defined in a simple question raised to evoke argument due to phrasing.
    Anonymous