Would you be fine with spending your wedding anniversary appart??

So my Husband just found out he is going to be working a long way from home on our anniversary and Im upset. I am being treated like I should be fine with this, would you be upset or ok,, and do I have the right to be upset? (I am not mad at DH just not happy(mainly at his boss) that he is being sent to another town on such a special day to us.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, I would be okay with it, as long as we did something nice for our anniversary when we got back together. Our anniversary is in the summer, and we often don't celebrate on the actual day. Either because of me taking the kids to the cottage and dh not having time off, or because we don't have childcare on that day so we put it off to another weekend. I would just plan something extra special for when he gets back.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Life happens....so I wouldn't waste my time being upset about it. In reality it's just a date out of the calendar year. You can still commemorate your marriage on another day and it won't be any less meaningful. Why don't you spend the time your DH is away planning a special surprise for him when he gets back? PM me if you'd like some ideas.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If it's something you can't control, i'd still be upset, but understand you know? But, i'd definitely make plans for another day/evening that you could be alone and have a nice time together!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 2:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I dont want to say you dont have reason to be upset but if you think about it ourside your "box" there are plenty of people who have to work on birthdays, anniversaries, weddings of children, funerals, I mean the way the econamy is right now working might be best for him. plus you have to think about anyone over seas STILL fighting a war that noone wants to be a part of and how much they have missed. I guess i am trying to ask that you try not to be so upset, and be thankful that you still have a job and a good family. I know its hard and i am sorry. but good luck!
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am a Navy wife and out of 5 anniversaries we have only gotten to spend 2 together and it's looking like I will be spending the 6th alone too. That's just the way it is and I have come to accept it. It's not like he wants to be gone. It's okay to be sad about it, but do something before he leaves to celebrate with him. Treat yourself to a mani/pedi, or have a girls night on your anniversary so you don't feel so alone or upset on that day. You could also web chat with him if that's an option. Just make sure you don't take it out on him, because it's really not his fault.
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I've been married five yrs and we have never spent our anniversary together. Hubby is in the army.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I don't blame you even though it is for work and not his fault. It really is okay to be upset, you are entitled to your feelings and no one should be telling you otherwise. You're not saying you're going to divorce him because he has to work, you're not happy that he has to work on a very special day. Pretending like you don't care is not the answer. Do something little nice for yourself that day and know that the two of you will be doing something nice together when he gets back.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i have been married for almost 5yrs! I have not been with my husband not one time since we first got married he has always worked outta town..for that matter that goes for b-days, sometimes thankgiving and christmas..trust me its not the end of the world..you will get over it..if not pack up and go with him!
    Anonymous

• I understand why you are upset, I would be too, but don't take it out on him. I know you said that you are not mad at dh, mainly his boss, but how you act could make dh just feel really horrible. It isn't his fault, most likely nothing he can do about, so just let it go.
    Anonymous

• It's life. We've been married 19 years. Sometimes we go out, sometimes I drive to hockey practice and work. I think you are putting too much importance on just 1 day. If it's that important pick another day to celebrate.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009