Baby Story.

This show is a lot more difficult for me to watch now with my second pregnancy. The one that is on now (TLC) has the midwife in the room knitting while the woman is going through a natural child birth.
I don't think I would be very excited about that situation. I understand that birth is "the most natural thing in the world"... a woman knitting while I"m screaming my head off... not so much.

How do you all like this show?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 2:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i watch this show everyday. or when its on i should say. also i watch discovery health and watch there show birth story.
    Anonymous

• i am watchin that show right now too! i love this show...we are pregnant with our third. and have been stuck on these shows since i found out. i dont know how i would feel about that. but the episode before this one where the Dr was yelling at the girl while pushing mad me kinda mad. with my first my midwife was really sweet and understanding. but with my second my dr sent his partner whom i had never met. and she obviously had no kids of her own she was very cold and mean. i had a natural birth with both my children. i was in a lot of pain and she didnt help. i was glad the nurse was there she was so sweet and comforting. my so was ok....but i really just wanted to be left alone to do my thing.
    Anonymous

• with my first I had a midwife (and will this time as well). A doctor had to come in to deliver via vaccuum in the last 5 minutes (after over 4 hours of pushing). When the baby was coming out I screamed "This is the biggest f-ing thing ever!!" The male doctor said- yes, yes it is... all I could think was shut up dude- you have no Idea what I am going through!!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i was on this show about 3 years ago. i had my baby in new york and you get a large chunk of money for doing the show. the people interviewing are not as nice as you think, i guess because it is thre job. but i enjoyed the gifts and money most of all for airing the show.
    Anonymous

• i HATE the show generally. i hate the images of birth it projects. i hate seeing woman go in for inductions clearly not knowing the risks. i work during the day usually but i watched yesterday and this woman seemed totally shocked to end up with a c-section after going in for an induction. i was just thinking "why on earth didn't her doctor tell her that induction increases the risk of c-section?" it's just so sad.

i especially hate when they have "midwives" on there who push interventions, which seems to be almost every time i see a midwife on there!
    Anonymous

• I just saw that episode. I couldn't believe she was knitting either. But if you noticed the woman only pushed a few times and the baby was out. Women know when it's time to push. I think she was just letting the mother get her frustrations out until it was really time. Plus she had a doula there, so there wasn't really much for the midwife to do at that point. I know my doctor wasn't there holding my hand when I had my son. He came in when I was about to push. So, for all I know, he was in the hall knitting! LOL.

I cry at every episode. I love that show!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I always cry, pregnant or not, when I see a baby being born. It's just such a miracle.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• as w/ others, i HATE that show. it's very "glamorous" and not how a birth should be. when people ask me about birth, i direct them to youtube to look at natural births on their. and then i give them all the info on inductions, c/s, etc. and i def agree w/ anon :42, they have MEDwives and on MIDwives.

there used to be a show on discovery health call house of baby, and i enjoyed that show. but, birth day and baby story are AWEFUL!!!
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009