My son is miserable...help

Earlier this week I posted that my son had a bad stuffy nose, well now it is a full blown cold! He has a sore throat, stuffy and runny nose and is starting to have a cough plus a fever. I made an appointment for him for tomorrow, but is there anything I can do to make it more bearable for him now? He is 22 months and is taking tylenol for the fever and we're using vicks baby on his chest to help too. Also the usual chicken noodle soup and warm milk type stuff. And before you all jump on me about giving my baby medicine--baby vicks has oils and no medicine, and nothing else works for the fever but the tylenol. I just need some new ideas. Anything work for anyone else? I feel so bad for him, he just sits and does nothing else. This is his first cold and maybe I am being a little too "first-time mommy" about it, but I don't know what else to do to help him feel better.

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Dont give him dairy. It makes more mucous. Turn on a hot shower and sit with him in the bathroom. The steam will clear his nose up and will clear his chest up. Thats all that I know.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Johnson's makes a vapor bubble bath. Also, a hot air humidifier in his room at night will work wonders. Some say it isn't safe- but I had one in my son's room for a few nights when he was around the same age- he didn't touch it (and I plugged it in after he was asleep). Wal Mart carries Hyland's Cold 'n Cough. It is a homeopathic syrum that worked wonders on my son. I alternated this with Tylenol and my son started to feel better in 2 days. Good Luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I second all of the recommendations of armywife, and will add that you should give your son Elderberry syrup. It is twice as effective as Tamiflu, and does not have any of the associated risks. Miso soup is very healing.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009