Sleeping Through The Night

My son is 3 weeks old and I was wondering about how I can get him to sleep through the night or sleep better during the night. Last night I ended up crying because I had only been asleep for about 45 minutes before he woke up to eat. After eating 4.5 oz and getting a fresh diaper I couldn't get him back to sleep for three hours!!!! I was so exhausted and everytime I thought "aww finally" I'd lay him down and he'd wake up.. Tried just in his crib with his toy that plays lullabies, gave him his binkie and as soon as it fell out of his mouth he was screaming. I tried his bouncy chair with the vibration on, I tried his swing with the music on low, I also layed him down with me...Nothing worked until I layed him on my chest and rocked him, but I think he had screamed himself to sleep. Can anyone help me please!!!! I do the night time by myself because my fiancee works very early in the morning.

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started sleeping through the night most nights at 3 weeks. She is 9 weeks old now and still does it. Some nights she won't go to bed until 2am. What has worked for us is to give her a bath at night. Then I breastfeed her. Then we swaddle her and rock her. She will usually start getting really tired while she is eating. The swaddling has made a huge difference for us because we tried to go without it. She would move around alot more at night and wake herself up. The swaddling keeps her tight so she can't move her arms. She also sleeps in a papasan chair next to our bed. Sometimes when she sounds like she is waking up early in the morning, I will put a pacifier in her mouth and turn the vibrate on the chair. She goes back to sleep usually. Good luck. I know what you are saying about being frustrated. It really sucks. Good luck. Make sure you take lots of naps during the day if you can.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It is highly unusual for a newborn to sleep long stretches. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was aroung 14 months when she started sleeping through the night fairly regularly.

Was saved me was co-sleeping. It was so easy to doze or sleep while she nursed.

Enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• thats usually what happens when you have a baby. what i did was lotion my baby every night that she didnt get a bath with the bedtime lotion. to get her into the routine of she will know when its bed time when she got a lil older now she knows when bed time is she is 11 months. i dont think your baby will be sleeping through the night til at least 3 -4 months at the least. but i remember that feeling i would cry because i didnt know what i was doing wrong when really i did nothing wrong it was just the first part of being a mother. dont take it for granite that your baby will be this tiny forever. you will miss it trust me. my daughter was about 4 and a half months when she slept through the night. but i would have to wake her up for at least one bottle a night. and its not just your baby i think even though your husband works early he should help a lil. you cant do it all by yourself.

GOOD LUCK!
    beautifulkirei

Answer by beautifulkirei at 3:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Co-sleep, breastfeed... it's not too late for the latter and it will prevent these kinds of nights if at all possible. Waking at night is normal, but if you're nursing and sleeping next to your baby, it won't take as much work to get her to sleep. Milk made at night is also made specifically to give baby signals that it's time to sleep.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• for now you should just expect this. what you can do is just try to be consistent. have the lights out at night with a dim night light and stay quiet so he can tell a difference between night and day. he should stop staying awake for long periods, but might wake frequently for
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Sorry accidentally hit enter!

might wake frequently for quite a while longer. i know it is so tough. my son woke frequently for months and months but it got easier because he would go back asleep faster and faster as time went by. good luck hon. i remember those days. i was so tired i would cry too.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• At three weeks, not much, I'm afraid. Baby is your "get out of everything" pass...don't do anything not strictly needed for survival.

Baby will sleep longer when BABY is ready to. Don't expect much different than this for the next few weeks, and know that sleeping through the night is a mere five hours.

Sleep when baby sleeps.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i was going crazy just like you when i first had my son. he started sleeping through the night at 3 months. try giving a warm bath before bed and use the johnsons bedtime lotion & soap.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Welcome to being a mom. Your baby is only three weeks old. Just put the baby down and breathe for a moment. Sleeping through the night will come eventually.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009