How to find a TRULY needy family

My husband and I are wanting to 'adopt' a family for christmas, buy them a christmas meal, gifts and all, the problem is I dont know how to go about finding a family who is truly in need and not just trying to get all they can for free.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• Call American cross or a church or a homeless center and ask them. I have seen people on craigs list put up a free. It's hard to say there are alot of people that need help and alot that are helping their selves.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I agree with above, contact the salvation army or something, a local church will probably be more helpful releasing the info you want. Thats great you have the ability to help and are actually HELPING...i wish we had someway to get just a little help this year....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Id contact churches, elementary schools, etc and tell them what you are wanting to do and ask if they can put you in contact with a family. Even a women & children's shelter maybe.
    MomtoDuck

Answer by MomtoDuck at 3:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Anonymous

• Call social services in your town. They usually "know" the families in need because they report to their case worker every so many months. I think some people use and abuse the church sysytem to get freebies too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Needy families can be obtained through Salvation Army or Catholic Charities. At this time of year there are too many families that lack the basic essentials, so wanting to adopt a family is a good thing to do. However, what about the rest of the year? Do you think you could possibly afford to continue helping this family with occasional groceries or children's clothing?
    nancythegreat

Answer by nancythegreat at 6:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2009