What about this?

Most in U.S. want public health option: poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Most Americans would like to see a "public option" in health insurance reform but doubt anything Congress does will lower costs or improve care in the short term, according to a poll released on Thursday.

The survey of 2,999 households by Thomson Reuters Corp shows a public skeptical about the cost, quality and accessibility of medical care.

Just under 60 percent of those surveyed said they would like a public option as part of any final healthcare reform legislation, which Republicans and a few Democrats oppose.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5B20OL20091203

Friday

Asked by Friday at 2:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't put much stock in polls but found this interesting because I have seen so many who are against reform post polls showing most don't want a public option.

I'll be honest, I'm not sold on the idea myself but mostly due to the deficit and economy right now. All the arguments against sound just like the HMO's and other types of ins that we currently have, as far as wait times and bureaucrats making healthcare decisions, so I don't see that healthcare would be worse.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I would like to see one. Guess I'm in that 60%. I don't think legislators really care about the public. They are more interested in campaign donations from big donors-i.e. corporations.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Polls only count when they fit someone's agenda..They will find all kinds of fault with this!

I know people want this......beyond that, we NEED it.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Many people still think Public Option = FREE coverage. Many don't realize the public option still has monthly premiums, co-pays, and deductibles. That alone skews the results. Others believe we will be getting UHC if this bill passes.  We aren't. 

Yes, people want health care reform.  People also want to win the lottery.  However, the odds against both are high.  We won't get REAL reform with this bill, we will get SOME reform with this bill.  Whether the results will be positive or not won't be know until years later. 

Remember, people wanted school reform, and we got NCLB. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Many people still think Public Option = FREE coverage.

Do you have any evidence of that? Not one person I know who is for the public option thinks it will be free.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Can't you make a poll give the answer you want, just by the way you word the questions? I'm not sure how much I really trust all these polls that say yes they do want it, or no, they don't want it. I know how I feel, which is that we already have gov't healthcare, and I really don't want the gov't involved in my healthcare decisions.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• That is why I said I don't put much stock in polls, too easy to skew to get the results you want. I understand not wanting the govt in your healthcare but how would that be better or worse than having private, for profit, corporations in your healthcare decisions? Everything those who are against the public option whine about happening, is already happening just with private companies.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think there are more people who want it than don't want it. However, that does not sell advertising space on the MSM. People who need healthcare is not as interesting as people screaming about how the government should keep its hands off THEIR medicare. Depicting health care reform in the same manner as the atrocities is far more palatable to the MSM than showing the people at the rallies who are on the other side of the coin.
    Anonymous

• Friday, I have conversed with some people here on CM, as well as many people in my area. Many are quite surprised, if not downright shocked, to find out that the public option isn't free. Not everyone keeps on top of politics. I'm assuming a good portion of the population have very little knowledge as to what exactly is in the latest bill.

If you look at postings around CM, people will still refer to HCR as UHC. They will talk about how they can't afford insurance and if the bill passes they will suddenly have health care. Honestly, unless you are near-poverty level now, this bill won't help much in getting insurance. It WILL help those who have chronic conditions get coverage, but they will still have to pay for it.

Just think about the huge amount of Americans who don't care enough to vote. Do you really think they know what this bill is all about? I sincerely doubt it.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I am about sick and tired of all the 'it only works that way when THEY want it to' because you know whether you want to admit it or not, you are the same way! If you do not like it being done to you maybe you should stop doing it! Ghandi said we must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Everyone I know is against a public option no matter their political stance because I do not know a single soul who wants to pay anymore of their money for someone elses benefit.
    Anonymous