I feel like telling her to go jump off of a bridge.

My mom died, and my dad is a very dependent person, and he clung to this woman and didn't let go. They are going to married in a very few days. She defies me. I told her that my children do not drink soft drinks, and so get buys them Hi-C. I told her that I don't give them candy, and she brings it to my house and promises it to them and then hands it to me. I told her that she couldn't give a diet soft drink to my baby and she rolled her eyes at me. She is driving me nutz. Then she told me that I was going to make myself sick from worry about being healthy.
More like she is going to make me sick, because everything was fine until she came around. How do I politely tell her to go jump off of a bridge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Simply tell her that they are your kids and you care about their health. And if she gets an attitude then, show her research that says kids shouldn't have candy or sodas. If that doesn't work flat out tell her you make the decisions for your kids and if she continues to do these things than she will not be allowed around them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i can definatly understand why she bothers you bc it is your kids, and you make the rules, but i think most women are like that and why wont you let your kids have some hi-c and candy sometimes? of course you want them to be healthy, and they should eat & drink healthy for the most part... but you should let them be kids too. and thats what grandparents are for. to spoil them. even the stepgrandparents.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Tell her they are your children and you make the rules. If she cannot abide by your rules you will not be permitted to spend time with the children.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but I am a scientist. And if you knew what these so called junk "foods" did to the body and the brain of especially a child. You would realize that there are plenty of alternatives such as fresh fruit, dried fruit, yogurt, etc. There is NEVER a reason to poison a child with aspartame, or food coloring. So the every once in a while b/c it's the grandparents statement doesn't fly with me. What if it were a cigarette? Well I guess it's ok every once in a while... since it's the grandparents.. right?
    Anonymous

• 3:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 by: Anonymous

Sorry, but I am a scientist. And if you knew what these so called junk "foods" did to the body and the brain of especially a child. You would realize that there are plenty of alternatives such as fresh fruit, dried fruit, yogurt, etc. There is NEVER a reason to poison a child with aspartame, or food coloring. So the every once in a while b/c it's the grandparents statement doesn't fly with me. What if it were a cigarette? Well I guess it's ok every once in a while... since it's the grandparents.. right?
    __________________
    I think I love you!
    Actually, I do allow my mom a few liberties with the grandchildren, but she's been really good about respecting my wishes after I explain the reasons for my decisions. I still love you though.
    Anonymous

• The cigarette example cracked me up!! My dd gets the occassional junk food to but for themost part I make sure she is getting plenty of fruits and veggies, no diet drinks, only occasional soda. I even hide veggies in spaghetti and give her whole grain noodles. I'm suprised how many people act shocked by having your kids eat healthy. They have growing bodies and all that artificial made in a factory food isnt good for any of us!!

If I where you I would talk to her b4 all you can do is loose it on her. Try to be calm and explain why you have made these decsions and help her come up with other ways to be close to your kids. Say I understtand you are trying to play and give my kids things that make them happy but maybe you could play a board game or spend time at the zoo with them. If she doesnt respect your wishes then you have to distance your kids from her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2009