What do you think of this vote?

WASHINGTON – The Senate cast its first votes on remaking the nation's health care system Thursday, approving an amendment to safeguard coverage of mammograms and preventive screening tests for women under a revamped system.

The 61-39 vote on a provision by Democrat Barbara Mikulski of Maryland and Republican Olympia Snowe of Maine was the first substantive ballot in an acrimonious debate that promises to go on for weeks, the legislative equivalent of trench warfare.

The vote came after three days of angry debate in which Democrats accused Republicans of stalling to try to kill the bill, and Republicans protested that they were only exercising their right to give the complex legislation full scrutiny.

Though Democrats have 60 votes in the Senate, two Democratic senators voted against the Mikulski amendment — Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Nelson. The measure was saved by three Republicans voting in favor

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't consider myself an expert on anything but myself. No, I disagree with many Conservatives on a number of issues but in my personal experience old school Cons are against the drug war, sorry if that offends you. How could I agree with Cons on everything? I'm a Lib. Most of the tests peg me as Libertarian also, interesting cuz ALL the Libertarians I have met and the party itself are against the drug war. Smaller govt and all that. Maybe NeoCon was the wrong term, the PNAC crowd might fit better, seem to think America has some right to force Democracy on others and that our interests and lives are more important than anyone elses. Pre-emptive wars and the like.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Snowe, David Vitter of Louisiana and Susan Collins of Maine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think it's damage control.
    Anonymous

• Those 3 voted to help sustain the bill... Snowe is a dem no matter what anyone says, look at what she stands for and her voting record. Vitter? HA! He is a womanizing piece of crap. Collins and Snowe are like two peas in a pod BFF's! Collins voted for the ARRA, she helped with the amendment to eliminate funding for Head Start, school improvement, and child nutrition.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Those people couldn't pass for true conservatives if they tried.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Who in DC, besides Ron Paul, could pass for a true Conservative? Who are you to make that judgement? All the Real Conservatives I know are for ending the drug war as it's failed policy and unconstitutional.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Collins voted for the ARRA, she helped with the amendment to eliminate funding for Head Start, school improvement, and child nutrition.

Isn't this what conservatives want?
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It sounds like a good vote on the surface. They should be debating the bill thoroughly. From what I understand, the public option in the bill is lame and the bill will give EVEN MORE $ to insurance companies- through taxes for subsidies.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Real conservatives don't throw trillions at the Defense Dept. at the drop of a hat every time they ask.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

That too. I see lots of Neocons and wannabes but no real Conservatives in our govt, with the exception of Paul. Not many here on CM either but there are exceptions.

On the OP, I don't care for the current healthcare legislation. Just a big blow job for the ins companies with mandated coverage and subsidies. Far as I can tell it was written by lobbyists for the health ins industry.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009