Does anybody know...

if my puppy is sick? I bought a new puppy today and she's 2 months old. She's a shih tzu. She's breathing very quickly and she's making some noises like the ones newborn human babies do!! Is it normal? I'm worried about the breathing though...

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 3:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Oh, and she seems really scared. She explores the house when I let her on the floor but gets really scared when I hold her in my arms...
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• She is probably just nervous. Give her some time to get used to your home.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think Shih tzus always breath loudly. Call the vet to make sure.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• She may just be scared but another possiblity is she may have narrow nostils that can cause them to snore and make funny noises. Give her time to adjust to her new surroundings and people in her life.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Their faces are flat, most of them do breathe funny, and if shes in a brand new BIG place its probably making it sound worse due to nerves
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's the breed. They breathe like they are dying for no real reason. Also, they are very allergy prone. They can get the sniffles easily. Watch her with certain foods. Every Shih Tzu I know has a SEVERE flea allergy. All my gal pals in college had them. They are great dogs.

She needs to develop confidence to not be held constantly. I know you want to love her. She needs to experience her emotions without being picked up. Small dogs that get scooped up every time they begin to panic become bite-risk dogs.

If you have an old t-shirt, wear it for a few hours then put it in her bed. She will get used to the smells faster that way.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2009