How long were you/have you been on anti-depressants?

I'm on them and feel like I'm going to be on them for forever. How did you wean yourself off of them and still get over your depression?

I know the whole diet and working out thing and all that. I've tried it but it doesn't seem to be working either. I do fine with the meds I'm on now, but when I don't take them I feel like crap. This is why I didn't want to take them in the first place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I feel like I need them. I dont have insurance thoug so it really sucks :( do they help alot?
    Anonymous

• i was on them for 13 months after my daughter was born. i was terrified to ween off, but when I did, I found that i was fine. I think it all depends on what the cause of the depression is tho. My was hormonal.

Anonymous

• I took them for a short period of time but decided to stop. I just skipped days and weaned myself off. I do watch what I eat and I'm not an exercise freak but I do try to at least move around since movement helps fight depression or so my dr told me. My movements are sometimes slight like stretches and using 2 lbs weights while reading a book. I did buy a recumbent bike and that helps. Twice a year I have a nasty depression hit and when it happens I take over the counter 5-htp and vitamin b complex. It really helps me. My depression time has been cut from weeks down to a couple of days. I can hang on that long but those weeks of depression were scary. Ask your doctor if you can take the 5-htp. I only take it when needed so it's not a full time med taking thing. I like that and it works immediately and doesn't take six weeks to kick in! When the depression lifts then I stop taking it. Easy as that (for me).

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• They put me on Zoloft after my dad died and I am much better.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think it was since 2005.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2009