Baby food in a jar...

My son is 6 months old and i dont know what i should start my son out with when it comes to the baby food in a jar. He has been eating the infant cereal for 2 months now and he does great with that but im at a loss on what to start him on. Any ideas?

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 3:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Two great books and websites: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbaby,com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• i started my dd on baby food at 4 months my dr told me to do veg first than fruit than meal/dinners
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Ask your doctor. I had a specific order to start (I forget it now). I do remember that it was 1 food only for about 4 days before introducing another. That way you could spot an allergy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• If there are no known allergies, start on any of the stage 1's or any of the single ingredient stage 2's.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• They say do Vegis first, becuase once babys get used to the sweet fruits they wont eat vegis..my son ate EVERYTHING but meat..and is still funny about meat..but he likes both fruits and vegis...i wouldnt start out with like peas or something first...to me i would wanna start out with something that i know my kid would like, like sweet potatoes or peaches...
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I get the stage 2 foods that is just the one thing. So i picked up corrots peas squash buternut squash green beans sweet potatoes and peaches. I just wasnt sure on what one i should start with. I have been told a lot to start with vegies so they will eat them but i guess im just a nervous first time mom.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Baby food in a jar is overpriced, overpriced, and with a taste that leaves something to be desired. Its a marketing ploy. That includes rice cereal. Ever taken a mouthful of that yourself? Cardboard has more flavor and nutrition!

Please don't get sucked into spending money on processed goop.

Your baby can experiment with real food -- the same food you eat. Food before 1 is just for fun anyway.

This site is very good as well as the above poster's: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• amileegirl
    I am not paying for this. I get 32 4oz jars every month through WIC. but even if i wasnt i would still use this. I had it when i was younger as well as all of my cousins and my parents and we are just fine. There is nutrition in it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2009