XBox for the SO? Would you buy a new one?

First of all, money is tight and I don't think I'm going to buy him this. But. He has just become obsessed with these two xbox games, taken over my TV and been playing xbox all the time. Then, it fried out. It's so close to the holidays that I feel like a new one would be a great gift. However, they're SO expensive (does anyone know where I can get one for a good price?) and when he was playing this all the time I was having war nightmares (modern warfare) and staying up shooting zombies until 4am. Would you "reward" this by giving him another one, or just thank the Gods that it is over and done?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Holidays

• I'd be thankful that it had broken and I couldn't be blamed for it. I would definitely not buy him another one. Guys who get obsessed with these things do so at the expense of their family. I'd take this as a great opportunity to get him tuned back into doing things as a family. GL!
    Anonymous

• my SO just bought a playstation 3 and modern warefare. we play it together sometimes. he likes to play his playstation like i like to go on the computer, and if it ever got out of hand, i would just let him know its getting out of hand and he needs to stop playing and spend time with his family or im gonna break the thing. he bought his playstation 3 at best buy. he applied for the best buy credit card, got approved right on the spot and its interest free for a yr & a hlf and the payments are like nothing! you could do that. its like 25 bucks a month minimum payment. i think an xbox is only like 2 or 3 hundred bucks. its not that bad. i think thats a great xmas gift. at least hes not drinking, drugging, smoking or porning all the time right?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• At the expensive of their on family get real....I would get him another one my husband has had three. If you could afford it I would do the play station they seem to be more long lasting. Not as many games but you get the blue ray and you dont have to pay to play online.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Yes, if they are playing the darn thing all the time rather than spending quality time with their families it IS at the expense of their families. If they are only doing it ocassionally then that is a different thing, but she said he was obssessed with it. I definitely see no need to encourage it.
    Anonymous

• Did it get the red ring? If you so you get a new one for free o.o but idk if it will be here by Christmas. I don't understand why else it would just ..die.
    Anonymous

• It overheated, and he got it off of Ebay, so the warranty is void.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• You can buy a microsoft refurbished one, that is certified with a 1 year warranty. I was looking and saw a Xbox 360 Pro with 2 controllers for $130 with the warranty. You just type in microsoft refurbished xbox in the google search and it should lead you to good links. Just make sure it says it has the warranty.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• And yes, I would buy him a new one. my hubby loves to play his xbox to decompress from work.
    AprilDJC

• Well, he earns the money right? So, if you have it to spend then how can you tell hime to not buy something that he enjoys? You obviously enjoy your computer time. How would you feel if he felt you didn't deserve or need a computer, took it away and took something you enjoy away? Grown men can play video games. Quite honestly, I would rather my HUSBAND spend that much money on a game system for HIMSELF that our children occassionally use than to spoil our children with a game system all for their use. How does a wife even think she has the right to tell a GRWON MAN what he can and cannot do if it's not something negative or destructive. If you have the money buy hubby a 2nd TV (small works fine, my hubby has a 19" TV for his game system) and the XBox and set it up next to your computer. Let hubby have his thing to unwind with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• LOL Anon...at the expense of their family...LOL My husband plays for about 2 hours after work (he's off of the game system by 8p) SOMETIMES. If we have errands to run or just randomly decide to go out, he doesn't suffer withdrawls. We eat supper together every single night, at the table, as a family and we have teenagers. We watch TV together, as a family, 6 nights a week and one night a week we play board games together. The video game system doesn't rule his life. i spend more time on the computer than he spend on the game system but I am always off from the time he gets home (unless he's playing a game) until the time he goes to bed (at 11 which is way too early for me).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2009