could this be asthma?

my son is 18 months old. from july to october he was up every night coughing. he coughs also after running around sometimes. now he is sick and he has a really bad cough that sounds like he gasps for breath in between but he is fine in a couple minutes. he also is breathing loudly. his father and i both had mild childhood asthma but we outgrew it. mine was smoke related and now i just avoid it and avoid running around a lot or laughing too hard or else ill cough like crazy. his father just has allergies now. could this be asthma?

Jnc91

Asked by Jnc91 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son is a severe asthmatic but hardly EVER wheezes. He gets so tight that he isnt really able to wheeze. However, when he is having a flare up, he sounds JUST like Darth Vader!!

I would talk to the ped about it. An asthmatic episode typically woudnt last 3 months (July to Oct) so I would think it might be something else going on. As for the running around and coughing...that part sounds like it could be asthma
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Is he wheezing or is it more of a darth vader type sound?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• hmm, somewhere in the middle? im not really sure. i would say it darth vader sounding but its not the high pitch wheezing either. its like really loud forcefull breaths. im doing horrible at describing this
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• *wouldnt
    Jnc91

• What did the doctor say when you brought up the nighttime coughing to him over the summer? I mean, without listening to his chest, and seeing if alubterol or something helped, we have no way of knowing.

You never outgrow asthma. The symptoms may "disappear", but it's never gone. It's actually common for the symptoms to disappear in adolescence, then reappear in the mid-30's.

All three of mine have asthma but they never wheeze. If they do wheeze we have to take them to the ER immediately. They get uncontrollable coughing...we call it their "tickle cough". It's like they have a tickle that they just can't clear....I get the same thing....re-emerged when I was 32.
    Anonymous

• It could be. Take him to the doctor to find out for sure. Contrary to what some are saying, you CAN outgrow asthma. I was told this from asthma specialists at a Children's Hospital. He could also have seasonal allergies that are triggering the asthma. You won't know for certain until he is examined by a doctor. In the mean time, run a vaporizer while he is sleeping.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Not all asthma involves wheezing. I used to get "sick" a lot. Went 3 years undiagnosed because everytime my mom would ask the doctor if he thought I has asthma he'd say "oh, you don't want to go there, you don't want her labeled asthmatic" It wasn't until I almost DIED that I was diagnosed! My chest was rising and falling so hard it was shaking my parent's bed. I ended up passing out from lack of oxygen in the waiting room of the ER. I came to in the room which was when my parents told me how I almost died, had no memory of even going to the ER I was out of it for a while I guess. I was in the second grade when this happened. Then I saw my brother behaving like I did when I couldn't breath. My parents brought him to the DR and with out much more thought he was tested for asthma (he was in kindergarten oddly the same age mine came on too) We were both tested at that time and we came out having the lung capacity of a 90 year old
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 9:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• No, you never outgrow asthma. You also never outgrow allergies. If you do "outgrow" those things, they were never asthma or allergies in the first place.

Do some simple research. Huge difference between outgrowing the symptoms and the disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Anon 8:51 actually YOU are misinformed. You absolutely CAN outgrow allergies, including food allergies. In fact the vast majority of kids (85%) with food allergies to milk and egg will out grow it. There is no cure for allergies but you can absolutely outgrow them. Maybe it's time YOU did some research.

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/outgrowing
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2009

• Agree with deadheadjen, And you can outgrow childhood asthma. My Allergist and later my Pulmonary told both my brother and I we would never out grow it, ours weren't childhood asthma. There are different forms of asthma and childhood asthma was one of the few I don't have but I from the books my dr gave my mom and I later in life read myself, childhood asthma you CAN outgrow. There are forever damage to your lungs as scaring on the lungs and things but all affects of the asthma is gone. Your allergies have the possibility for you to become not just immune which is almost like outgrowing, it no longer effects you in the same way. If my husband wasn't immune to his allergies he'd be dead from staying at his brother's cockroach infested trailor as DH's highest allergy is cockroaches and wheat. DH eats tons of wheat bread without any effect.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 10:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2009