Dreading my 3-year-old's second dentist visit because she freaked at her first. Any suggestions?

At my daughter's first dental visit when she was 2, she first didn't even want to leave the waiting room because she was playing with the blocks. Had to pick her up and carry her to the room. Then had to put her in the chair because she wouldn't go in it on her own. Then she screamed almost the whole time she was being examined with big tears running down her cheeks. I was so stressed out. I felt bad for her but frustrated because she didn't care what explanations I had to offer. Everyone at the office was so great, they were patient and kind to her and with me! Now her next appointment is tomorrow and I'm dreading it. I'm not sure how to ease her into it, how to prepare her for it, how to make it fun instead of a nightmare. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Talk to her ahead of time about what is expected. Let her know that the dentist wants to make sure her teeth are bright and shiney. Plan on something special afterwards even if it's just a bag of apples at McDonalds.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• This is not the way that little ones are treated at the pediatric dentist my daughter saw. Things are done at their pace, gently. I suggest finding another dentist.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009