Why do people care so much about celebrities personal lives?

I don't get it. Sure, I read People on occasion and am always up for some good gossip but it has gotten to the point that our media will spend days, weeks, even months reporting on and analyzing celebrity drama and all but ignore real news. Like the BS our govt is up to.

Why do we feel the need or right to know every detail of Tiger Woods problems?

My first reaction is to blame the media but it's really not their fault, they are just giving the people what they want since ratings and making money are more important than real news.

Friday

Asked by Friday at 3:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Do people? I sure don't.
    Anonymous

• Because its drama. And some people loooove drama (other people's drama that is lol). They like to see things fall apart in other people's lives to make them feel better about their own.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 4:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Do people? I sure don't.

Obviously they do or TMZ wouldn't be the hit that it is.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I suppose it is because they don't have a life of their own.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think most of us really don't care. It the news media likes to B.S. on T.V so we don't see what is going on in our government.

Everyone should have talking about Obama sending more troops to a never ending war!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The news media knows they can make this story drag out long enough to avoid having to discuss the false data from the climate scientists....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I know the govt likes to use this kind of crap to cover their BS but the media wouldn't cover it so extensively if no one were watching. Obviously there are enough people who do care to make it worth while for the media to show it at great length.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I think it's ratings. I didn't care about MJ, but that whole thing was on for a month straight. I am not interested at all. I think grly's onto something though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Our society reveres celebrities--as if they are somehow smarter than we are, have a higher education, are more privileged than the average person, or have a gift or talent that no one else could ever acquire (in some cases it may be a rare talent, but the most part with a lot of practice, many of us could achieve the same levels of skill/talent if we decided to put in the effort), and because they are really just people like you and me, when they "fall from grace" we tend to compare our lives, morals and values to theirs. It's kind of humbling--for everyone!

Celebrities seem to have it so easy, they have money, they have adoring fans, they are popular, they are handsome/beautiful, they are talented, etc. When they make "mistakes" it reminds us that they're not necessarily all that! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I like tabloids on occasion for an escape and to see what the girls are wearing. Just like a way to escape the bad news constantly on. But I don't feel I have a right to know. However, it sort of irks me when they complain about it. Except when the paparrazi gets in their face or in front of their car and then sue when their foot gets run over.
    Most celeb stories get so overblown and we don't pay attention to the important issues.
    sweetie00

Answer by sweetie00 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2009