pissed about the h1n1

i went to the heath clininc today b/c im preg. I was there to sign up for wic anyways they asked me if i got my daughters the h1n1 and i said no that i did want they gave me a drirty look and said you know that you at risk to get it since your preg i said i know and they were rude the whole time after that have anyone else been through this did you get it or not and what are your reasons for getting it or not getting it thank you please dont bash i have had enough

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just got both the seasonal and the h1n1 today, I'm with someone on a daily basis who is high risk. You should definately get it because for some reason it seems to be more dangerous for pregnant women. A pregnant woman just died of it in our area a couple of weeks ago, they had to induce early labor. The baby is a premie but so far he is fine (although motherless).
    Anonymous

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The H1N1 vaccine will has Thimerisol/mercury. As with other vaccines, the H1N1 vaccine is expected to be 60-80% effective. For all of us, those who choose to vax and those who don't, prevention is key. Here is what Dr Sears is saying about the vaccine: http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/ . if you read through the comments, you will see that he is not getting the vax.
    You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

• P.S. The "it" she died from was the h1n1 flu, not the vaccine.
    Anonymous

• See the drug insert that states only to give it to pregnant people if absolutely needed as they don't know the effects it has on pregnancies and future reproduction. Also with any shot there is NO GUARANTEE that you won't get the virus anyway. I'd really research it. We opted not to get it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The flu shot is new every year too. They re just guessing what strain it is. Ya know, here on Cm there was a mom who had H1N1 while pregnant. Ended up in the hospital and they put her in a coma, while in a coma they delivered her baby. They both are thankfully alive. Here where I live, a few pregnant woman died from H1N1. You can ask for it without the mercury, you probably consume more mercury by eating fish.
    Anonymous

• thank jeanclaudia im glad you see it my way we got the flu shot last yr and we all got the flu bad ( and we hardly ever get the flu) i have never got the flu shot when i was preg with any of my other kids
    Anonymous

• i'm sorry. they were so judgmental. :( it's every mom's choice and not theirs. personally i decided NOT to get the vaccines but i would never look down on anyone who made the opposite choice.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• im sorry you had to deal with that, some of the people that work at places like that can be straight bitches. but anyway we decided not to get it too, i'm 8 months and have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, but i'm also a sahm and we have little contact with people other than trips to the park and the store. i just wash our hands like crazy and sanitize when a sink isn't handy, and so far (knock on wood) we've all been lucky! it's scary and very unfortunate to hear about all the pregnant women getting seriously sick or even dying from the virus, there have been 2 that i've heard of, 1 died and 1 is still in a coma, and very sadly only 1 of those babies lived after they had to do c-sections to get them out :((((
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009