Newborn laundry

How important is it that I wash all of the new clothes I bought(they are brand new) before the baby is born?
My mom says I dont have to but I personally wash everything before using it.

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 4:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should wash everything before it's worn, there can be all kinds of stuff on the clothes. You don't know who has tried them on or what they've been exposed to. It's possible that they've been exposed to chemicals like pesticides in the warehouse or truck that could give you a reaction. It's not likely to be an issue but why take the risk when it's easy to just throw the stuff in the laundry?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I washed everything before my son was born. It was probably more anxiety than anything, it was just something to keep me busy. I would still wash everything if I had another one. Just because their skin is so sensitive when they're new.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I never did but it won't hurt to wash them if it makes you feel better. Just use baby laundry detergent. I think regular detergent is too harsh for baby items

Answer by admckenzie at 4:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Wash them! Some companies use formaldehyde on their clothes.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• definitely wash!

there are so many starches and stiffeners and crud in the material from the manufacturers and then people pawing through them at the store.....ew.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• you can if you want to but it's not necessary. my mom always said to wash the things that aren't in packages, like clothes on hangers, blankets and stuff, but i always just threw it all in. even now, i'm expecting my 3rd and although all the hand-me-downs are clean i plan to wash them before she's born anyway because they've been sitting in containers for the past year.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I wash everything!!! Most of the clothes come out of factories in other countries where standard cleanliness is low not to mention they sit in boxes in warehouses and the shipped over here...God knows what the people who have been touching this stuff have on their hands or how many rats, etc...peed and pooped on the containers - NO Thanks!!

Anonymous