Tylennol w/ codeine & breastfeeding? Vicoden & breastfeeding?

I was physically assaulted yesterday, leaving bruises on my ribs and painful back injury due to the force in which I was knocked to the ground. I also have a lump on my forehead, but other than that I'm fine. The doctor prescribed vicoden to me and recommended tylennol w/ codeine. I didn't mention to him that I'm breastfeeding, I was still in a sort of shock. I am in pain today, I can hardly lift my child up, let alone carry her. Sleep was awful last night. It hurts so bad. Can I just take those painkillers? I'll admit I took one vicoden and I feel bad, but I am just in a lot of pain and mentally also feeling crappy. So what is the harm, if any? What would you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never took anything while BF. i had the flu and didnt even take the tamiflu. I dont think you should take the codeine, when i had to take tylenol w/codeine, it made me loopy. call the doctor and tell him that you're bf and he'll tell you if it goes into your breastmilk. dont listen to the women on here when it comes to drugs, some will take it and got lucky that nothing happened, just talk to the expert, your doctor. i know pain is bad, but the safety of your baby comes first.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you can, but be careful and take them in limited amt. They are tylenol based so its better than Ibuprofen. I took Tylenol with codeine while I was pregnant because he had me on vicodin and switched me. I never took all that much. Ask you doc, but when I asked my OB, they were fine with tylenol based only products. Im sorry for your situation and dont suffer. It sounds like you want to do whats best for your baby and good for you for breastfeeding. Just dont suffer if youre hurting so bad. Good luck.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• They gave me Tylenol with codeine in the hospital after I had my c-section and I was breastfeeding. They let me take 2 every 6 hours. They let me refill my prescription when I went home too, so I think you are fine.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't take them while breastfeeding. You need to be healthy though....Call the doctor and find out. But to me, taking ANY medication while breastfeeding isn't worth the risk to the baby.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and the assaulter fries for what s/he did to you.
    Anonymous

• call a 24/7 pharmacy and ask
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I dont think tylenol w/ codine is safe!! I know for sure that vicodin isnt safe becaus I was prescrbed that by a dentist and I was was told by a pharmacist I shouldnt take it while breast feeding so I didnt! You can go on webmd and look up the medicine to double check though. Call your local pharmicist as well. Oh and im sorry about what happened and I hope you feel better soon.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I just made a mistake my dentist prescribed valuim not vicodin sorry :( but I still suggest googling the medicine or going on web md to make sure it safe
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• The doctor that did my c-section prescribed me vicodin after asking me if I was breastfeeding. Therefore I'm assuming it's fine.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• http://kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 9:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2009