Is my 13 year old the only one without a cell phone?

One day they asked my daughter's PE class who had a cell phone, and my daughter was the ONLY girl in the class that did not have a cell phone of her own. I know I am old-fashioned and probably behind the times, but does every 13 year old girl (other than mine) really have her own cell phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope. My 15 year old doesn't have one either. I don't know what's up with people thinking their kids need one.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Im sure shes not. Both of my girls do and they are 11 and 15. My 15 yr old has had one since she was in the 8th grade and my 11 yr old has had one for about a year. Dont feel pressured to do this and explain to her that its earned and something that will come with time. If you dont want her to have one then explain why and stick to your guns. Everyone has to do whats best for their family and many kids that age dont need one. They dont go anywhere or do anything that would require them to need one. Thats the case with my 11 yr old, but my mom got her one and its modest and I dont have to pay for it. My 15 yr old does spend time after school and does go out with friends on occasion and does stay after school for football games. They go to a private school that is in the next county so I like to keep in touch with them about times and dates. Its just whatever works for your family. She needs to be okay with who she is. Good luck
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Thanks Momofsaee4!

I'm not planning on getting her one anytime soon. I really see no need for her to have one, and honestly she doesn't seem all that bothered by it; she knows we have different standards than her friends' parent's about a lot of things, and she really doesn't complain about it. I knew MANY kids had cell phones, but I was just really surprised to find it might be closer to MOST kids now.
    Anonymous

• Thanks NightPhoenix. It's nice to know I'm not alone!
    Anonymous

• It's nice to know that I'm not alone either! :D
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Most kids do. Mine will be getting one when they get in middle school. I think it's safe for a kid to have one in case they need me. I dont care if it's a "cool" thing or not. I love the idea of being able to contact my child whenever i need too.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My daughter occasionally uses mine -because to call some friends-the house phone will tell her it's long distance...but she does not have her own. She needs one for what exactly? she is 16 and if she wants one THAT bad-she can get one when she gets a job and pays for it herself ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My kids arn't that old yet, but I don't see the need for one. I didn't have a cell phone when I was a child and my mom could always get ahold of me because she always knew where I was. I don't plan on letting my children run the streets, so they dont' need one. I also think that cell phones are something that is to mature for children...especially with all of the sexting and the fact that they can erase every record in that phone.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 5:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• My 13 year olds didn't have cells. My youngest who just turned 15 is the only teenager I have had who got a cell. We got tired of not being able to get in touch with him while he is on band trips, needing to be picked up after practice, letting us know if practice is running long. They don't let them use the phone, so he was always borrowing someone's phone. He has a huge amount of restrictions. I can't wait until the first bill comes in. He will be in so much hot water if he doesn't follow the rules.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• I never understood the reason for a young kid to have a phone either.I think I read on here that kids as young as 6,7 had a cell phone.I didn't get one until just a few years ago.I think they should be 18 and have a good paying job.
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2009