What is Pentecostal religion?

My MIL is Pentecostal. I asked her what the difference is between that and Catholic religion but she doesn's speak much English so we had a communication issue. Thx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pentecostal refers to a church that is a bit more....flowing in the gifts of the spirit..if I may say it that way. Generally an Assembly of God or Church of God will fall into that category and also some non denominationals will as well. They can really vary from really wild, running around the chuch to just basic charismatic lifting of hands. Theres a lot of in between though. It just refers to a more charismatic church. I grew up in a pentecostal church so I am telling you about my own denomination and not someone elses though someone else might have a better defnition for you. Hope that helps.
    momofsaee4

Answer by momofsaee4 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2009

• It's not a religion, per se, but a denomination, or branch, of Christianity. They believe in all the gifts of the spirit (tongues, miraculous healings, prophecy, interpretor of tongues, teacher, preacher etc) and generally hold to a more Armenian view of scripture. In other words, they believe that man has a choice when chosing God, that one can loose one's salvation, that man is not depraved...

Some churches within the Pentacostal denomination (there's many different branches) believe that the evidence of being baptised is the speaking in tongues... Others believe that baptism is needed for salvation. It really just depends are what branch you're asking about.
    vicki1130

Answer by vicki1130 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2009